First order differential equation problem.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the general solution for a given equation and the steps taken to solve it. One person provides an incorrect integration and another points out the mistake and shows how to correctly integrate the equation. The solution is simplified and the book's answer is compared to it.
engineer_dave

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of 2y(x^3+1)dy + 3x^2(1-y^2)dx = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I first grouped the terms with dy or dx

2y/(1-y^2) dy = -3x^2/(x^3 +1) dx

after integrating both sides and solving, I got

ln (1-y^2)= -ln(x^3 +1) + c

and then after simplifying, it becomes 1-y^2= A/(x^3 + 1) and therefore y^2= -A/(x^3+1) + 1.

The answer according to the book was y^2= 1 + A(x^3 +1). How did they get that??

Maybe if i could get rid of the negative sign for ln, it might help...but please if u can help me, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first integration is incorrect.

[tex]\int \frac{2y}{1-y^2} dy [/tex]

[tex]u = 1-y^2[/tex] then [tex] du = -2y [/tex]

Yada yada yada, and you should get

[tex]\int \frac{2y}{1-y^2} dy = -ln(1-y^2)[/tex]

The problem is that you missed that minus sign. After that the rest follows.

FAQ: First order differential equation problem.

What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivative. It contains only one independent variable and one dependent variable, and the derivative is of the first order.

What is the general form of a first order differential equation?

The general form of a first order differential equation is dy/dx = f(x,y), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, and f(x,y) is a function that relates the two.

How do you solve a first order differential equation?

To solve a first order differential equation, you can use a variety of methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or using a substitution. The method used depends on the specific form of the equation.

What are some real-world applications of first order differential equations?

First order differential equations are used to model a wide range of phenomena in science and engineering, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in economics, biology, and physics.

What is the difference between a first order and a higher order differential equation?

A first order differential equation contains only one derivative, while a higher order differential equation contains multiple derivatives. The order of a differential equation refers to the highest derivative present in the equation.

Back