First Order Differential Equation Problem

In summary, the problem involves a 14 lb weight attached to the end of a spring that stretches it 4 in. The equation of motion needs to be found for when the weight is released from rest at a point 3 inches above the equilibrium position. This is an undamped second order problem, and equilibrium is when the spring is stretched downward to x_0 such that kx_0=mg, representing y=0. The equation of motion can be found using F=kx and mx''+kx=0.
th3plan

Homework Statement

A 14 lb weight attached to the end of spring stretches it 4 in. Find the equation of motion if the weight is released from rest at a point 3 inches above equilibrium position

Homework Equations

F=kx
mx''+kx=0

The Attempt at a Solution

ok I need some help just finding out what the k constant is. I know I use hooks Law F=kx, and F is mg=kx. Do i consideer equilibrium when nothing is attached to it, and that is y=0? Then what is the x considered in Hooks Law equation mg=kx , is it the distant its stretched from equilibrium position ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First, this is a undamped second order problem.

I would consider equilibrium is when mg=kx.

th3plan said:

Homework Statement

A 14 lb weight attached to the end of spring stretches it 4 in. Find the equation of motion if the weight is released from rest at a point 3 inches above equilibrium position

Homework Equations

F=kx
mx''+kx=0

The Attempt at a Solution

ok I need some help just finding out what the k constant is. I know I use hooks Law F=kx, and F is mg=kx. Do i consideer equilibrium when nothing is attached to it, and that is y=0? Then what is the x considered in Hooks Law equation mg=kx , is it the distant its stretched from equilibrium position ?

Thanks

now what do u mean by equillibrium, is that when its unstretched and no wait? or the differecne between unstretrched and stretches in the middle in other words ?

when the spring is stretched (downward) to x_0 such that kx_0=mg, it's equillibrium, that's y=0.

th3plan said:
now what do u mean by equillibrium, is that when its unstretched and no wait? or the differecne between unstretrched and stretches in the middle in other words ?

1. What is a first order differential equation problem?

A first order differential equation problem is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivative. It is called "first order" because it only involves the first derivative of the function.

2. What is the general form of a first order differential equation?

The general form of a first order differential equation is dy/dx = f(x,y), where y is the unknown function and f(x,y) is some given function of x and y.

3. How do you solve a first order differential equation problem?

There are several methods for solving first order differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. The method used depends on the specific equation and its characteristics.

4. What is the significance of first order differential equation problems in science?

First order differential equations are used to model many physical, biological, and chemical systems in science. They help us understand how these systems change over time and make predictions about their behavior.

5. Can first order differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for a first order differential equation to have multiple solutions. However, the solutions must satisfy certain initial conditions, which are additional pieces of information that are needed to uniquely determine the solution.