First-Order Differential Equation

In summary, we are given the initial condition x(0)=2 and the differential equation dx/dt+4x=10e^{-2t}. After some manipulation, we find that the solution is x(t)=5e^{-2t}+Ce^{-4t}, where C is a constant.
sandy.bridge

Homework Statement

Find x(t) given the following:
x(0)=2
[tex]dx/dt+4x=10e^{-2t}[/tex]
[tex]e^{4t}(dx/dt+4x)=10e^{-2t}e^{4t}[/tex]
[tex]d/dt(e^{4t}x)=10e^{2t}[/tex]
[tex]\int{d(e^{4t}x)}=\int{10e^{2t}dt}[/tex]
[tex]e^{4t}x+C=\int{10e^{2t}}[/tex]
[tex]e^{4t}x=\int{10e^{2t}}+C_1[/tex]
[tex]x(t)=\int{10e^{-2t}}+e^{-4t}C_1[/tex]
From here I get stuck. I know I can integrate it, but then I have another constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, no. Your last line should read,

[tex]x(t)=e^{-4t}\int{10e^{2t}}+e^{-4t}C_1[/tex]

You can't just move the e^(-4t) inside the integral like that. Now sure, integrate it. If you add another constant, does it matter?

[tex]x(t)=e^{-4t}(5e^{2t}+C_2)+e^{-4t}C_1[/tex]

Then, since
[tex]x(0)=2[/tex]
we have
[tex]-3=C_2+C_1[/tex]
Now if I combine these constant to make a new one, that doesn't really help me out in regards to the equation does it?

sandy.bridge said:

Homework Statement

Find x(t) given the following:
x(0)=2
[tex]dx/dt+4x=10e^{-2t}[/tex]
[tex]e^{4t}(dx/dt+4x)=10e^{-2t}e^{4t}[/tex]
[tex]d/dt(e^{4t}x)=10e^{2t}[/tex]
[tex]\int{d(e^{4t}x)}=\int{10e^{2t}dt}[/tex]
[tex]e^{4t}x+C=\int{10e^{2t}}dt[/tex]

Why not integrate the right hand side ?

@ Sammy:
I was doing that before, but I could not seem to get the answer. I just tried again given the information Dick presented and got the right answer. Thanks!

sandy.bridge said:

Then, since
[tex]x(0)=2[/tex]
we have
[tex]-3=C_2+C_1[/tex]
Now if I combine these constant to make a new one, that doesn't really help me out in regards to the equation does it?

is the same as

[tex]x(t)=5e^{-2t}+e^{-4t}(C_2+C_1)[/tex]

You may as well just call C=C1+C2. The extra constant doesn't do anything different than the first one did.

1. What is a first-order differential equation?

A first-order differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivative (the rate of change of the function). It only involves the first derivative of the function and can be written in the form dy/dx = f(x), where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable.

2. What are some real-world applications of first-order differential equations?

First-order differential equations are used to model a variety of real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to describe rates of change in various systems.

3. How do you solve a first-order differential equation?

The general method for solving a first-order differential equation is to separate the variables, integrate both sides, and then solve for the dependent variable. This can be done analytically or numerically using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor.

4. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial first-order differential equation?

An ordinary first-order differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a partial first-order differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are used to model single-variable systems, while partial differential equations are used to model multi-variable systems.

5. Are first-order differential equations always solvable?

No, not all first-order differential equations have analytical solutions. Some equations may require numerical methods to approximate a solution, while others may not have a solution at all. Additionally, the difficulty of solving a first-order differential equation can vary greatly depending on the specific equation and the techniques used.