First Order Homogeneous Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expression F(x,y)=0 for the given differential equation and initial condition. The attempt at a solution involves using a substitution and solving for v, but the final answer is incorrect. The conversation then suggests combining natural logs and the solution is eventually found.
Linday12

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{3xy}{3x^2+7y^2}[/tex], y(1)=1

Express it in the form F(x,y)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. I let v=y/x,

v+x[tex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{3x^2v}{3x^2+7x^2v^2}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{x^2(3v)}{x^2(3+7v^2)}[/tex]= [tex]\frac{3v}{3+7v^2}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] x[tex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-7v^3}{3+7v^2}[/tex]
I think that's right so far, but I'm not entirely sure. Here is where I feel something is going wrong.
[tex]\frac{3+7v^2}{-7v^3}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dv}{1}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{3}{14v^2}[/tex]-ln(abs(v))=ln(x)+c

[tex]\frac{3x^2}{14y^2}[/tex]-ln(abs([tex]\frac{y}{x}[/tex]))-ln(x)+c=0
c=3/14 since y(1)=1

And therefore,
F(x,y)= [tex]\frac{3x^2}{14y^2}[/tex]-ln(abs([tex]\frac{y}{x}[/tex]))-ln(abs(x))-[tex]\frac{3}{14}[/tex]=0

The answer isn't right. If someone could help me find where I've gone wrong, it would be very appreciated. Sorry about the scripting. I'm not skilled at it yet, but, hopefully it's easy enough to read. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the same answer you did...

What is the answer you are given?

Perhaps the answer is just formatted differently?

Maybe try combining the natural logs?

ln(y/x) + ln(x) = ln(yx/x) = ln(y)?

Thank you, that was exactly what I needed!

Glad I could help!

1. What is a first order homogeneous equation?

A first order homogeneous equation is a type of differential equation where the unknown function and its derivatives appear only as a product and can be rearranged into a homogeneous form. It can be solved using separation of variables or substitution methods.

2. What is the general solution to a first order homogeneous equation?

The general solution to a first order homogeneous equation is given by the expression y = Cx, where C is a constant. This solution can be found using the method of separation of variables or by substituting y = ux into the equation and solving for u.

3. How do you verify if a solution is valid for a first order homogeneous equation?

To verify if a solution is valid for a first order homogeneous equation, you can substitute the solution into the equation and see if it satisfies the equation for all values of x. Alternatively, you can take the derivative of the solution and see if it satisfies the original equation.

4. Can first order homogeneous equations have initial conditions?

Yes, first order homogeneous equations can have initial conditions. These conditions can be used to find the particular solution to the equation, which satisfies both the equation and the given initial conditions.

5. What are some real-life applications of first order homogeneous equations?

First order homogeneous equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model various processes. Some examples include radioactive decay, population growth, and chemical reactions. They are also used in electrical circuits to model current and voltage relationships.