1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order linear ODE

1. Jun 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve dy/dx = y/x + tan(y/x)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not separable, as far as I can tell. It's not homogeneous, since for the tan term f(λx,λy) = tan(λy/λx) = tan(y/x) ≠ λtan(y/x). It's also not of the form dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x), because I don't think Q(x) should involve y. And that completes the list of methods I know, none of which I can use! How do you solve this?! Is there a substitution I should make?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Even though this is not homogeneous, seeing that "y/x" my first thought would be to try the substitution u= y/x.

Then y= xu so that dy/dx= u+ x du/dx. The differential equation becomes u+ x du/dx= u+ tan(u) so that x du/dx= tan(u).

That is separable.

4. Jun 7, 2015 #3

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You could try making a change in the dependent variable, from [itex]y[/itex] to [itex]u[/itex], where [itex]u= y/x[/itex]

5. Jun 7, 2015 #4
    OK, that substitution works! I thought it was only for homogeneous equations. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted