1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order ODE

1. Jul 26, 2006 #1
    Hi, can someone please help me with the following ODE? I need to find the general solution.

[tex]
    y = xy' + \frac{1}{{y'}}
    [/tex]

Rearranging I get a quadratic in dy/dx.

[tex]
    x\left( {\frac{{dy}}{{dx}}} \right)^2 - y\left( {\frac{{dy}}{{dx}}} \right) + 1 = 0
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = \frac{{y \pm \sqrt {y^2 - 4x} }}{{2x}}
    [/tex]

I don't know what to do from this point nor am I sure if I've started the right way. Any help would be good thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2006 #2

J77

That's a first order equation of degree two - you have to look at the discriminant you've found to find where solutions exist...

edit: I see sid deleted his reply - lucky I didn't quote it:wink:

4. Jul 26, 2006 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Jul 26, 2006 #4
    Now that you mention the name of the DE, I remember doing a question on it last year. It's too bad that I've put that booklet containing the problem and the books which I did questions in away in storage. Anyway thanks for the help. It looks like I need to diff both sides wrtx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?