Finding the General Solution of an ODE: Help Needed!

In summary, The conversation discusses a first-order differential equation of degree two, also known as a Clairaut Equation. The speaker rearranges the equation to get a quadratic in dy/dx and finds the discriminant to determine where solutions exist. They mention a helpful method for finding the general and singular solutions. The conversation concludes with the realization that differentiating both sides with respect to x may be necessary.
Benny
Hi, can someone please help me with the following ODE? I need to find the general solution.

[tex]
y = xy' + \frac{1}{{y'}}
[/tex]

Rearranging I get a quadratic in dy/dx.

[tex]
x\left( {\frac{{dy}}{{dx}}} \right)^2 - y\left( {\frac{{dy}}{{dx}}} \right) + 1 = 0
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = \frac{{y \pm \sqrt {y^2 - 4x} }}{{2x}}
[/tex]

I don't know what to do from this point nor am I sure if I've started the right way. Any help would be good thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a first order equation of degree two - you have to look at the discriminant you've found to find where solutions exist...

edit: I see sid deleted his reply - lucky I didn't quote it:wink:

This is a Clairaut Equation, and there is a nice way to find the general and singular solutions.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ClairautsDifferentialEquation.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that you mention the name of the DE, I remember doing a question on it last year. It's too bad that I've put that booklet containing the problem and the books which I did questions in away in storage. Anyway thanks for the help. It looks like I need to diff both sides wrtx.

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used in science and engineering to model physical phenomena.

2. What is the general solution of an ODE?

The general solution of an ODE is the set of all possible solutions that satisfy the given equation. It includes both the particular solution (which satisfies any initial conditions) and the complementary solution (which satisfies the homogeneous equation).

3. How do I find the general solution of an ODE?

The exact method for finding the general solution of an ODE depends on the type of equation (e.g. first-order, second-order, etc.). Generally, one must integrate the equation and solve for the constant of integration. This can be done using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or using a characteristic equation.

4. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A particular solution is a specific solution to an ODE that satisfies any given initial conditions. It is unique for a given set of initial conditions. A general solution, on the other hand, is a set of all possible solutions to an ODE, including the particular solution and any other solutions that satisfy the homogeneous equation.

5. Why is finding the general solution of an ODE important?

ODEs are used to model many natural phenomena, such as the motion of objects, heat transfer, and population growth. Finding the general solution allows us to understand the behavior of these systems and make predictions based on different initial conditions. It also provides a foundation for more advanced mathematical techniques and applications.