Physics 1: Mechanics (Calc Based): Can I Do Well?

In summary: I'm currently using "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca and it's much better.
samdude3
Hey Guys,

So I am taking Physics 1: Mechanics (Calc Based) this semester along with Calc 2 and General Chem 1.

I am pretty worried since I have never taken a physics class and this class is notoriously hard. With enough studying and effort is this a class you can do well in regardless of taking previous Physics classes? Are there resources online besides khan academy that can help get me up to speed?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey what's up? Is this at a University or Community College? To me Physics is hard and you have to dedicate a lot of time on it in order to understand it. Based on my experience, it is a different type of thinking. It is not just about knowing the formula and plug and chug. It can be pretty hard when you are introduced a problem that you have never seen before. If you think you can handle all of that then try it. You can always drop out from one of your classes during the first couple of weeks without a W if it becomes too hard. If I were you though, I would just take Physics and Calc2 or Physics, Calc2, and a laid back elective class. This would give you more time to focus on the two harder classes and have a better chance at an A. If you are plannng to transfer soon though then just take all three. To me this is a heavy load though. It's all your choice though. Good luck!

samdude3 said:
Are there resources online besides khan academy that can help get me up to speed?
Yes there are many exists such as MIT OCW or Yale Open Courses or You Tube Videos but decide which one is good for you.

This is at community college so I know they are not as intensive as they would be at a 4 year university. I feel like I need to get used to a schedule with multiple classes that are difficult since that will be the norm as I progress in my degree. I also work 30 hours a week but I don't think that should be an excuse for not getting good grades since it tests my time management skills.

I have watched the MIT OCW online lectures but they don't seem to do any practice problems that help you understand the topic, just how certain formulas are derived etc.

I would also like to know if there are any books with a lot of practice problems since my Physics book has limited practice problems.

What textbook are you using for the course? Generally most of the mainstream ones, Young and Freedman, Halliday and Resnick, etc.. will be perfectly fine for the scope of a physics I/II course in terms of practice problems. OCW MIT is an invaluable resource. For the duration of your course, Walter Lewin will become your best friend.

We are using "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca. I'm not sure how this compares with the texts you mentioned.

Tipler/Mosca is about the same as Halliday/Resnick, Young/Freedman etc. in terms of topics covered. Differences are basically a matter of taste.

samdude3 said:
we are using "physics for scientists and engineers" by paul a. Tipler and gene mosca. I'm not sure how this compares with the texts you mentioned.

This textbook is a joke, I don't understand how anyone could possibly recommend this book. It's barely calculus based to even begin with.

1. How difficult is Physics 1: Mechanics (Calc Based)?

Physics 1: Mechanics (Calc Based) can be challenging, especially for students who have not taken calculus before. However, with dedication and hard work, you can do well in this course.

2. Do I need to have a strong math background to do well in Physics 1: Mechanics (Calc Based)?

A strong foundation in math is essential for success in this course. It is highly recommended to have completed at least pre-calculus before taking this course. However, if you are willing to put in the time and effort to learn the necessary math skills, you can still do well in Physics 1.

3. How much time should I dedicate to studying for Physics 1: Mechanics (Calc Based)?

This will vary for each student, but as a general guideline, you should plan to spend at least 10-12 hours per week studying for this course. It is important to keep up with the material and practice solving problems regularly.

4. Is it necessary to attend lectures in order to do well in Physics 1: Mechanics (Calc Based)?

While attendance is not always mandatory, it is highly recommended to attend lectures. This is where you will receive important information, clarification on confusing topics, and have the opportunity to ask questions. Plus, attending lectures can help you stay on track with the course material.

5. Are there any resources available to help me succeed in Physics 1: Mechanics (Calc Based)?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you do well in this course. Your professor or teaching assistant may have office hours where you can ask questions and get extra help. There may also be tutoring services available on campus. Additionally, there are many online resources, such as practice problems and video tutorials, that can aid in your understanding of the material.