Fixed fields and Galois subgroups.

• Thread starter Artusartos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of finding all the intermediate fields between Q(\zeta_7) and Q by using the fact that the fixed subgroups correspond to the intermediate fields and are normal in the Galois group. The degree of the intermediate field over Q is also equal to the index of the corresponding subgroup in the Galois group.
Artusartos

Homework Statement

I need to find all the intermediate fields between [itex]Q(\zeta_7)[/itex] and Q.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the group [itex]Q(\zeta_7)[/itex]. I found all the permutations that are possible for [itex]\zeta_7[/itex].

Here is what I have:

Since [itex]Aut(<\zeta_7>) = Z^{\times}_7 = \{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7\}[/itex], we know that we can have 6 automorphisms.

Let [tex]\zeta = \zeta_7[/tex]

[tex]\zeta \rightarrow \zeta[/tex]

[tex]\zeta \rightarrow \zeta^2[/tex]

[tex]\zeta \rightarrow \zeta^3[/tex]

[tex]\zeta \rightarrow \zeta^4[/tex]

[tex]\zeta \rightarrow \zeta^5[/tex]

[tex]\zeta \rightarrow \zeta^6[/tex]

I computed the orders of these automorphisms (since I want to know the subgroup orders in the Galois group in order to determine the fixed fields).

So...

[tex] \zeta \rightarrow \zeta [/tex] has order 1

[tex] \zeta \rightarrow \zeta^2 \rightarrow \zeta^4 \rightarrow \zeta [/tex] Order=3

[tex] \zeta \rightarrow \zeta^3 \rightarrow \zeta^2 \rightarrow \zeta^^6 \rightarrow^4 \rightarrow \zeta^5 \rightarrow \zeta [/tex] Order = 6[tex] \zeta \rightarrow \zeta^4 \rightarrow \zeta^2 \rightarrow \zeta[/tex] Order = 3

[tex] \zeta \rightarrow \zeta^5 \rightarrow \zeta^4 \rightarrow \zeta^6 \rightarrow \zeta^2 \rightarrow \zeta^3 \rightarrow \zeta [/tex] Order = 6

[tex]\zeta \rightarrow \zeta^6 \rightarrow \zeta[/tex] Order = 2

So now I need to find the fixed subgroups.

I know that [itex]< \zeta>[/itex] will correspond to [itex]Q(\zeta)[/itex] since it fixes everything.

I know that the other fields I need to look at are [itex]Q(\zeta^2)[/itex], [itex]Q(\zeta^3)[/itex], [itex]Q(\zeta^4)[/itex], [itex]Q(\zeta^5)[/itex], and [itex]Q(\zeta^6)[/itex].

There are two reasons why I was stuck:

1) Since, for an intermediate field K and Galois subgorup H of G, [itex] [ K : Q] = [G : H] [/itex], finding [K:Q] would help reduce the possibilities, right? But I'm kind of confused about how we would be able to find that.

2) Even if we did find [K:Q] for each K, that would only reduce the possibilites and not tell us exactly which subgorup corresponds to which intermediate field, right? So we have to check which subgroup fixes [itex]\zeta^k[/itex] for some k between 1 and 6, right? But I don't really get anywhere with this method. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. For example, for [itex]\zeta^3[/itex], I tried to see which automorphism would give me [itex]\zeta^3[/itex] back but couldn't really find any that would. So I'm probably missing something, but I'm not sure why...

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
for any help!

Hello! It seems like you are on the right track with finding the intermediate fields between Q(\zeta_7) and Q. I can offer some suggestions to help you find the fixed subgroups and corresponding intermediate fields.

To find the fixed subgroups, we can use the fact that they correspond to the intermediate fields. For example, the subgroup that fixes Q(\zeta) will correspond to the intermediate field Q(\zeta). We can also use the fact that the fixed subgroups are normal in the Galois group. This means that for any intermediate field K, the corresponding subgroup will be normal in the Galois group. So we can look for normal subgroups of the Galois group that contain the subgroup <\zeta>, which corresponds to Q(\zeta).

To find the intermediate fields corresponding to the fixed subgroups, we can use the fact that the degree of the intermediate field over Q is equal to the index of the corresponding subgroup in the Galois group. So for example, if we find a subgroup of index 2 in the Galois group, then the corresponding intermediate field will have degree 2 over Q.

I hope this helps you in finding the intermediate fields between Q(\zeta_7) and Q. Good luck!

1. What are fixed fields in Galois subgroups?

Fixed fields are elements in a field that remain unchanged by the action of a particular subgroup in a Galois group. In other words, they are the elements that are invariant under the automorphisms of the subgroup.

2. How are fixed fields related to Galois subgroups?

Fixed fields and Galois subgroups are closely related because fixed fields are used to characterize Galois subgroups. Specifically, the fixed field of a subgroup is the largest field that is fixed by all automorphisms in that subgroup.

3. What is the significance of fixed fields in Galois subgroups?

Fixed fields play a crucial role in Galois theory as they allow for the classification of subgroups within a Galois group. They also provide a way to understand the structure of a field extension and its subfields.

4. How do you find the fixed field of a Galois subgroup?

The fixed field of a Galois subgroup can be found by taking the intersection of all the subfields that are fixed by each automorphism in the subgroup. This process can also be reversed to find the Galois subgroup of a fixed field.

5. Can there be multiple fixed fields for a single Galois subgroup?

Yes, there can be multiple fixed fields for a single Galois subgroup. This is because a subgroup can have more than one generator, and each generator can correspond to a different fixed field.