Fixed-point iteration method to find an approximation

In summary, the conversation discusses using a fixed-point iteration method to find an approximation for the cube root of 25 that is accurate to within 10^-4. The attempt at a solution includes finding the range of the root, but the individual is unable to determine the iterative function g(x) or solve the problem. Suggestions are given for using Newton's method or a lookup table for initial guesses, and a link to cube root algorithms is provided. Ultimately, the correct solution is found using the fixed-point iteration calculator, but the individual is unsure of how the calculation was done.
enger

Homework Statement

"Use a fixed-point iteration method to find an approximation to [itex]\sqrt[3]{25}[/itex]that is accurate to within10^-4"

i need the solution in step by step ...

Homework Equations

x=g(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

all i can get is the range

[itex]\sqrt[3]{8}[/itex] [itex]\leq [/itex][itex]\sqrt[3]{25}[/itex] [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\sqrt[3]{27}[/itex]

then [a,b] = [2,3]

i can't get g(x) or solve this problem.

---------

update I've completed some of the question but still i get wrong answer

x^3-25=0
x.x^2=25
x^2=25/x
x= 5/[itex]\sqrt[2]{x}[/itex]

g(2)= 5/[itex]\sqrt[2]{2}[/itex] = 3.53553391 ( not in the bounded area)
g(3)=5/[itex]\sqrt[2]{3}[/itex] = 2.88675135 (correct)

i can't use this formula unless both answers are withing the range 2-3...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
enger said:

Why is that?

Can you describe what is a "fixed point iteration" as you understand it?

I see it as an iterative function F(x) such that
Xn+1 = F(Xn)
similar to Newton's method which eventually gives a value very close to the required solution.

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_point_iteration

uart said:
Why is that?

1st condition of fixed point iteration solutions must be within the range [2-3]

mathmate said:
Can you describe what is a "fixed point iteration" as you understand it?

I see it as an iterative function F(x) such that
Xn+1 = F(Xn)
similar to Newton's method which eventually gives a value very close to the required solution.

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_point_iteration

it's very similar to Newton but i must use it to get the roots

rcgldr said:
Are you supposed to use something like Netwon's method? Link to wiki example for square root of a number. The Wiki article doesn't explain how to choose the initial number (it could use a table look up based on the left most non-zero bit), or you could start with 1 and just iterate more. A cube root solution could have the issue of diverging if the initial guess value is not close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_method#Square_root_of_a_number

i've checked wikipedia but still i can't figure out what's wrong , I've checked the solution manual of numerical analysis burdon , they got the same g(x) and same range[2-3] but still i get the wrong answer

enger said:
g(2)= 5/[itex]\sqrt[2]{2}[/itex] = 3.53553391 ( not in the bounded area)
g(3)=5/[itex]\sqrt[2]{3}[/itex] = 2.88675135 (correct)

Your iterations may be outside of the specifed region but the answer is not. You need to show us some results of your iterations.

Not sure why you say 2.88675135 is correct, since cubing it gives 24.05626132. This is not within your specified error.

Pick either end point or the mid point of your region and iterate. You will arrive at the correct answer within a dozen iterations.

Newton's works very well when we put
f(x)=x^3-25
It converges to 2.924017738212866 in 7 iterations starting with x0=2, and in 5 starting with x0=3.

Integral said:
Your iterations may be outside of the specifed region but the answer is not. You need to show us some results of your iterations.

Not sure why you say 2.88675135 is correct, since cubing it gives 24.05626132. This is not within your specified error.

Pick either end point or the mid point of your region and iterate. You will arrive at the correct answer within a dozen iterations.

there are 3 rules that every equation must pass before making iterations

1. function is continuous
2. max and min value of the function is between [a,b] which in this case is 2,3
3. [g'(x)]<1

so when i put 2 it should be within 2-3 range same for 3... but when i add 2 it gives answer out of the permitted range.

mathmate said:
f(x)=x^3-25
It converges to 2.924017738212866 in 7 iterations starting with x0=2, and in 5 starting with x0=3.

yeah netwon method works fine but i need to solve it with fixed point :wink:

enger said:
Netwon method works fine but i need to solve it with fixed point.
Fixed point math would use the same method. Are you thinking fixed point means integer? It uses the integer instructions of a cpu, but the logical format of the numbers is

xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx

where the x's represent the 0's and 1's of a fixed point number (16 bit number example here) with the fixed point in the middle (or off center if wanted). You'll need to shift to the right after any multiply and shift the divisor to the left before any divide (you may need to use multiple steps for the divide).

I updated my previous post to include a link to cube root algorithms.

For a more general function, you can base the initial guess via a lookup table that's indexed by the location of the most significant (non-zero) bit of the number (you'd need 32 entries for a 32 bit number, 64 entries for a 64 bit number), where you've pre-calculated exact solutions for powers of 2 in the table entries.

mathmate said:
f(x)=x^3-25

This thread is about fixed point iteration. Please leave Newton's method to threads about Newton's method.

OK, use
Xn+1=5/sqrt(Xn), but you can use
a=2.8, a^3=21.952
b=3, b^3=27
then 5/sqrt(a)=2.988<3 and 5/sqrt(b)=2.886...>2.8

mathmate said:
OK, use
Xn+1=5/sqrt(Xn), but you can use
a=2.8, a^3=21.952
b=3, b^3=27
then 5/sqrt(a)=2.988<3 and 5/sqrt(b)=2.886...>2.8

then the 2nd condition "2. max and min value of the function is between [a,b] which in this case is 2,3" doesn't meet with this equation.

i've tried to get the solution from fixed point iteration calculator

http://maccery.com/maths/fixed_point.php

x=(25)^(1/3)
Accuracy = 10^-4
Starting Value=2

x1 = 2.92401773821
x2 = 2.92401773821
(25)^(1/3)
(25)^(1/3)

ANSWER: 2.9240177382

--------

the result is right but still i don't know how it was done .

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no iteration in
x=(25)^(1/3)
so the calculator simply evaluated the expression and gave the answer.

x needs to be on the right hand side to initiate iterations (e.g. x0=2)

if x=5/sqrt(5) does not satisfy the [2,3] interval conditions, you'll need to find other functions such as x=sqrt(5*sqrt(x)) which iterates 19 times to give the same answer as above, using an initial value of 2 where sqrt(5sqrt(2))=2.659 is within [2,3].

mathmate said:
There is no iteration in
x=(25)^(1/3)
so the calculator simply evaluated the expression and gave the answer.

x needs to be on the right hand side to initiate iterations (e.g. x0=2)

if x=5/sqrt(5) does not satisfy the [2,3] interval conditions, you'll need to find other functions such as x=sqrt(5*sqrt(x)) which iterates 19 times to give the same answer as above, using an initial value of 2 where sqrt(5sqrt(2))=2.659 is within [2,3].

yeah i know this equation but this is the answer in the solution manual

24m9mqq.jpg

also what's the equation for knowing the number of iteration in fixed point?

i know this equation

(k^n)/(1-k) [b-a] <error

is there an easier form ?

You have the equation:

[tex] x= \frac 5 {\sqrt x} [/tex]

Now perform iterations.

[tex] x_n= \frac 5 {\sqrt {x_{n-1}}} [/tex]

Take x0= 2.5

compute x1 ,x2 etc until you get inside of the desired error.

Integral said:
You have the equation:

[tex] x= \frac 5 {\sqrt x} [/tex]

Now perform iterations.

[tex] x_n= \frac 5 {\sqrt {x_{n-1}}} [/tex]

Take x0= 2.5

compute x1 ,x2 etc until you get inside of the desired error.

the equation will get a result out of the range [2-3]

-----

another question how can i know the number of iteration in fixed point , if I'm given the g(x) equation and error occur withing 10^-5

ex:

x=((e^x)/3)^(1/2) within 10^-5

I'm not given the range of the period.

enger said:
the equation will get a result out of the range [2-3].

Hi Enger. Where exactly did you get this specified range of [2..3] from?

The function 5/sqrt(x) has derivative magnitude less than unity for all x > 2.5^(2/3), which is approx x > 1.842. So it seems that the [2..3] interval is some arbitrary restriction that you're imposing and which does not appear to be part of that original problem description.

Last edited:
enger said:
another question how can i know the number of iteration in fixed point , if I'm given the g(x) equation and error occur withing 10^-5.

If either the convergence is rapid or if the error is alternating (as in 1.85, 1.62, 1.79, 1.73 etc) then the difference between successive x values, ([itex]x_n - x_{n-1}[/itex]), is a reasonable estimate of the error. It's actually an over-estimate of the error if the convergence is alternating and an underestimate if the convergence is monotonic. If the convergence is fairly rapid then this underestimate is not too severe, however if you've got slow monotonic convergence then the difference between successive x values will significantly underestimate the error.

In that case you need to calculate the derivative to get a better estimate of the error. If M is the maximum value of [itex]g'(x)[/itex] on the interval [itex]x_{n-1}..x_n[/itex] then a good estimate of the error is:

[tex]\frac{\left| x_{n} - x_{n-1} \right|}{1-M}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the fixed-point iteration method?

The fixed-point iteration method is a numerical algorithm used to find an approximation for a solution to a mathematical problem. It involves repeatedly substituting an initial guess into an iterative equation until the result converges to the desired solution.

2. How does the fixed-point iteration method work?

The fixed-point iteration method works by starting with an initial guess for the solution and then using an iterative equation to generate a new approximation. This process is repeated until the result converges to the desired solution, which means that the difference between consecutive approximations becomes smaller and smaller.

3. When is the fixed-point iteration method most useful?

The fixed-point iteration method is most useful when there is no analytical solution to a mathematical problem and an approximation is needed. It is also commonly used to solve equations that are difficult to solve by other methods, such as transcendental equations.

4. What are the advantages of using the fixed-point iteration method?

The fixed-point iteration method is relatively simple to implement and does not require any specialized mathematical knowledge. It can also be used to solve a wide range of mathematical problems and can provide a close approximation to the true solution.

5. What are the limitations of the fixed-point iteration method?

The fixed-point iteration method may not always converge to the desired solution and can be sensitive to the initial guess. It also requires the iterative equation to be carefully chosen in order to ensure convergence. Additionally, the method can be time-consuming for problems with a large number of iterations.