Magnesium Chloride Flame Color

In summary, the flame color of magnesium chloride is colorless, meaning neither magnesium nor chlorine has a characteristic flame color. This information can be confirmed by conducting a flame test or through atomic emission spectroscopy, where the line used for Mg analysis is invisible at ~285 nm.
lwymarie
this is a question in my test.. and i failed to solve it
wt's the flame color of magnesium chloride?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
lwymarie said:
this is a question in my test.. and i failed to solve it
wt's the flame color of magnesium chloride?

Not to sure if this is the answer your looking for, but in atomic emission spectroscopy the line used for Mg analysis is at ~285 nm aka invisible.

when we carry out the flame test to test metal ions, what is the flame color of magnesium ions?

Why don't go into the lag and take solid [itex] MgCl_{2} [/itex] and put in a flame (blue,preferably)...?It's the most convincing answer u could possibly get.

Daniel.

1. What is the flame color of magnesium chloride?

The flame color of magnesium chloride is a bright white.

2. Why does magnesium chloride produce a white flame?

The white flame of magnesium chloride is due to the presence of magnesium ions. When heated, these ions are excited and emit white light.

3. Is it safe to use magnesium chloride in flame tests?

Yes, it is safe to use magnesium chloride in flame tests as long as proper safety precautions are taken. Magnesium chloride is a stable compound and does not pose any significant health risks.

4. What other elements or compounds produce a white flame?

Other elements that produce a white flame include aluminum, titanium, and zinc. Some compounds, such as sodium chloride and potassium chloride, also produce a white flame.

5. Can the flame color of magnesium chloride be used to identify it in a chemical reaction?

Yes, the white flame color of magnesium chloride can be used to identify it in a chemical reaction. However, it is important to note that other factors, such as the intensity and duration of the flame, should also be considered for accurate identification.