Flawed Proof: x + y = y in Algebra - Spivak Calculus (1994) Homework

In summary, the original "proof" is incorrect because it divides by 0, which is not allowed in mathematics. The correct approach would be to factorize and consider all possible solutions.
jrdunaway

Homework Statement

2. What is wrong with the following "proof"? Let x = y. Then
x2 =xy,
x2 - y2 =xy - y ,
(x + y)(x -y) = y(x - y),
x + y = y,
2y = y,
2= 1.

Homework Equations

It's obvious that x + y =/= y, but I do not know how to "prove" this, i.e. which proof from algebra is applicable here. My hunch is that it is the Distributive Property?

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly am not sure where to start with this. All I can see is that dividing (x-y) out from step 3 to step 4 is what causes the inequality.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi jrdunaway welcome to pf! :smile:
jrdunaway said:
x + y = y,

All I can see is that dividing (x-y) out from step 3 to step 4 is what causes the inequality.

that's right! :smile:

if x = y, that means that you divided by 0, which isn't allowed

so (if x = y) that step is not valid

jrdunaway said:

Homework Statement

2. What is wrong with the following "proof"? Let x = y. Then
x2 =xy,
x2 - y2 =xy - y ,
You mean xy- y2 on the right.

But you still can't divide by 0.

x + y = y,
2y = y,
2= 1.

Homework Equations

It's obvious that x + y =/= y, but I do not know how to "prove" this, i.e. which proof from algebra is applicable here. My hunch is that it is the Distributive Property?

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly am not sure where to start with this. All I can see is that dividing (x-y) out from step 3 to step 4 is what causes the inequality.
5*0= 0 and 3*0= 0 so 5*0= 3*0. It does not follow that 5= 3!

jrdunaway said:
What is wrong with the following "proof"? Let x = y. Then
x2 =xy,
x2 - y2 =xy - y ,
x + y = y,

What instead should have been done was

[tex](x+y)(x-y)=y(x-y)[/tex]

[tex](x+y)(x-y)-y(x-y)=0[/tex]

[tex](x-y)(x+y-y)=0[/tex]
(factorized out (x-y) from both factors)

[tex](x-y)x=0[/tex]

So either x-y=0, thus x=y, or x=0

This is common practice when solving quadratics and such. If you end up with [tex]x^2+x=0[/tex] for example, you don't divide through by x to obtain [itex]x+1=0[/itex] because then you lose the solution of x=0. What you instead do is factorize into the form [itex]x(x+1)=0[/itex] which allows you to find all the solutions.

PhysicsForums,

you guys have exceeded my expectations! Thank you! I'll be back soon I'm sure :)

Related to Flawed Proof: x + y = y in Algebra - Spivak Calculus (1994) Homework

1. What is the main focus of "Spivak Calculus (1994)"?

The main focus of "Spivak Calculus (1994)" is to provide a rigorous and comprehensive introduction to calculus, covering both single and multivariable calculus. It also includes a thorough treatment of topics such as limits, continuity, derivatives, and integrals.

2. Is "Spivak Calculus (1994)" suitable for beginners?

While "Spivak Calculus (1994)" is often used as a textbook for introductory calculus courses, it is known for its challenging and rigorous approach. It may be more suitable for students who have a strong background in mathematics and are looking for a deeper understanding of calculus.

3. What sets "Spivak Calculus (1994)" apart from other calculus textbooks?

One of the main distinguishing features of "Spivak Calculus (1994)" is its emphasis on mathematical rigor and proof-based approach. It also includes a large number of exercises and problems, many of which require creative thinking and insights from the reader.

4. Can "Spivak Calculus (1994)" be used as a reference book?

While "Spivak Calculus (1994)" is primarily intended as a textbook for students, it can also serve as a useful reference for those looking to review or deepen their understanding of calculus. It includes a comprehensive index and well-organized chapters for easy navigation.

5. Is there a newer edition of "Spivak Calculus" available?

The 1994 edition of "Spivak Calculus" is the most recent version. However, there have been various reprintings and editions with minor revisions since then. Some readers may also be interested in "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, which is a more recent and comprehensive calculus textbook.