Solving Flight & Velocity Problem in Cutnell & Johnson Physics

In summary, an airplane is flying with a velocity of 240 m/s at an angle of 30.0° with the horizontal. A flare is released from the plane and hits the ground. The angle is found using beta and theta. The calculations are incorrect and the user is unsure if their signs are correct.
mmiller39
This is a problem from Cutnell and Johnson Physics

I have set up my formula so that eventually I am solving a quadtratic equation, I am unsure if my calculations are correct, any input would be appreciated.

THE QUESTION:

An airplane is flying with a velocity of 240 m/s at an angle of 30.0° with the horizontal. When the altitude of the plane is 2.4 km, a flare is released from the plane. The flare hits the target on the ground. What is the angle ?

WHAT WE KNOW:

Vo: 240 m/s
y = 2.4 km
Theta: 30 degrees
Beta : The unknown angle

MY CALCULATIONS:

Vo Sin 30 = Voy = -120 m/s (because it is in a downward direction, I think)

y = Voy(t) + 1/2ay(t^2)

-2,400 = -120(t) + 1/2(-9.80)(t^2)

In quadratic Form:

-4.9t^2 - 120(t) + 2,400 = 0

t = -120 +/- Sqrt (120^2 - 4(-4.9 x 2400))/2 x -4.9

THIS IS WHERE I GET CONFUSED

I am unsure if my signs are correct or if I am solving the formula correctly. I will go ahead and show the rest of my calculations but they are incorrect. (or could have been from the beginning)

t = 13.04 s

Vo cos 30 = Vox = 207 m/s

x = Vox(t) = 2699 m

Beta = tan^-1 y/x = tan^-1 2,400/2,699 = 41.64 degrees. <-----

*this answer is wrong, I am unsure where I made my error(s). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
what you computed at the very end is the angle if you were to take the spot where the plane let the flare go and where it hit. Because of gravity the flare does not fall in a straight line. You need to compute the instantaneous velocities in both the x and y direction (you already have the x velocity). The y one will just be [tex] v_y(t) = v_{oy}+g*t [/tex] making sure that the negative signs are correctly placed. Then you can compute the angle as beta=tan^-1 v(y)/v(x) where v(y) and v(x) are the velocities at impact.

dmoravec said:
what you computed at the very end is the angle if you were to take the spot where the plane let the flare go and where it hit. Because of gravity the flare does not fall in a straight line. You need to compute the instantaneous velocities in both the x and y direction (you already have the x velocity). The y one will just be [tex] v_y(t) = v_{oy}+g*t [/tex] making sure that the negative signs are correctly placed. Then you can compute the angle as beta=tan^-1 v(y)/v(x) where v(y) and v(x) are the velocities at impact.

Thanks...this is a big help although it confused me as well.

You say I already have the X velocity, I am not sure what that is, Secondly here is my calculations of what you informed me on, am I placing the signs in the correct places?

-120 + -9.80(13.04) = Vy(t)

-247.79 = Vy(t)
Vy = -19.00 <-----this does not seem right to me.

well the x velocity never changes (there is no force in the x direction) so your inital x velicty [Vo cos 30 = Vox = 207 m/s] is also your final x velocity.

Your work is correct until the last step. I meant Vy(t) as a function of t, not mutiplied by t. Therefore your y velocity at t=13.04 seconds would be -247.79.

1. How do I calculate the velocity of an object in flight?

To calculate the velocity of an object in flight, you will need to know the distance it traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is velocity = distance / time. Make sure to use consistent units for distance and time, such as meters and seconds.

2. What is the difference between initial velocity and final velocity?

Initial velocity is the speed at which an object is moving at the beginning of its motion, while final velocity is the speed at which it is moving at the end of its motion. In other words, initial velocity is the starting velocity and final velocity is the ending velocity.

3. How do I solve for flight time in a physics problem?

To solve for flight time, you will need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and acceleration of the object in flight. The formula for flight time is flight time = (final velocity - initial velocity) / acceleration. Again, use consistent units for velocity and acceleration.

4. Can air resistance or friction affect the velocity of an object in flight?

Yes, air resistance and friction can both affect the velocity of an object in flight. Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the object and decrease its velocity. Friction can also slow down the object by creating resistance against its movement. Both of these factors should be taken into account when solving flight and velocity problems.

5. How can I use vectors to represent velocity in a physics problem?

Vectors are often used to represent velocity in physics because they show both the magnitude (speed) and direction of the object's movement. The length of the vector represents the speed and the direction of the vector represents the direction of the object's movement. Vectors can be added, subtracted, and multiplied to solve for more complex velocity problems.