Floating Menu Bar: Issues & Options

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter RabbitWho
  • Start date
In summary: He's not wrong. The float is convenient for many as you don't need to scroll. For power users, it saves a lot of time and movement. We are planning on reevaluating our style in 2018 and will consider options for your case.
RabbitWho
What is the purpose of that floating menu bar on top, it is quite cumbersome for me on my small screen with its big writing.

You know in the 90s there were frames on every website and we got rid of them because they were universally hated. Now that we all have wide-screen computers and vertical space is at a premium, they've been brought back? Could the bar not be on the side?

Is there an option to turn it off and keep it fixed on the top of the page instead of on top of the screen? Could there be?

Let me give you an idea what a problem it is for some of us:
Screenshotfrom2017-04-1517083951cd6.png

Thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you zoomed in a lot in your browser. You could zoom out to have more content on the page.

I need to be able to see what I a reading, which I can't if I zoom out.

Okay, I was going by the size of the icons elsewhere - they are smaller than individual letters in the image.

The bar has a useful size with typical zoom levels. You could add a userscript to make the bar smaller in your browser.

I don't have to read the icons so they are the smallest size possible. I don't know how to do that. It was just a suggestion, forget about it. I really don't think the menu has any purpose other than to take up space, if I wanted any of those functions I could scroll up to them. But obviously I am the only one, so never mind. Thanks anyway!

You are not wrong. It will be an issue for a small number of users with your zoom level. At the moment there isn't an easy solution. The float is convenient for many as you don't need to scroll. For power users, it saves a lot of time and movement. We are planning on reevaluating our style in 2018 and will consider options for your case.

Likes RabbitWho
I use the tool bar very often to access the https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads and sometimes other functions, and scrolling up to access it every time would be annoying. Fixing it to the top would improve the forum for a few, but make it much worse for most others.
RabbitWho said:
I don't know how to do that.
There are tutorials how to modify the appearance of websites with tools like Greasemonkey.

Likes RabbitWho
I noticed that you're using Firefox. Try this: Move the mouse pointer so that it hovers over the menu bar. Hold down the left mouse button and while you're holding it down press the delete key on your keyboard. Of course this won't work if you're not using a mouse. I'll see if I can find a way to do it without the mouse.

Edit:
I just realized that this is a NoScript feature and not a feature of FireFox. So you'll need to add the NoScript addon to use this feature.

Last edited:
Likes RabbitWho
You can also use right-click -> inspect element and then delete it, but you would have to do this for every forum page you load.

mfb said:
I use the tool bar very often
+1.0 I use it quite a lot, and like having access to it all the time. :smile:

mfb said:
Okay, I was going by the size of the icons elsewhere - they are smaller than individual letters in the image.
He might have his zoom function configured like this... ?

Zoom text only.JPG

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is a floating menu bar?

A floating menu bar is a navigation bar that remains visible on a webpage even when the user scrolls down. It is typically located at the top or bottom of the page, and allows easy access to different sections of the website.

2. What are the issues with using a floating menu bar?

One issue with using a floating menu bar is that it can take up valuable screen space, especially on smaller devices. It can also make the website look cluttered and overwhelming. Additionally, some users may find it distracting or annoying.

3. How can I make my floating menu bar accessible?

To make your floating menu bar accessible, it is important to ensure that it is keyboard navigable and has clear labels for each menu item. You should also provide alternative text for any images used in the menu bar and ensure that the menu bar is compatible with screen readers.

4. Are there any alternatives to using a floating menu bar?

Yes, there are alternatives to using a floating menu bar. One option is to use a fixed menu bar, which stays in place but does not float as the user scrolls. Another option is to use a hamburger menu, which appears as a small icon that expands into a menu when clicked.

5. How can I decide if a floating menu bar is right for my website?

The decision to use a floating menu bar ultimately depends on your website's design and the preferences of your target audience. It is important to consider the potential drawbacks and benefits, and to test the menu bar on different devices and browsers to ensure it functions properly. You may also want to gather feedback from users to see if the floating menu bar enhances their browsing experience.