1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow through a surface

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

given is the following field [tex] F(x,y,z)=(y,xz,0)[/tex] (F is a vector field) and the borders of the surface are: [tex] 0<x<1 ;y=x ; 0<z<1[/tex] the < should be less equal but I don't know how to do the sign in latex, sorry. The normal vector is given as [tex]n=(a,b,c); b<0[/tex]

I shall calculate the flow through the surface
    2. Relevant equations

the formula for the flow, can't type in in latex, sorry, but I think you know which one I mean (flow= integral F*n*dS)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I need to find my dS, problem here I have, I don't know how to do this exactly. I tried to parametrize it, but I'm not sure how to do it, because I have a function in my borders. So I think y max equals 1 because of the requirements for x. Can anyone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2
    If you try to use [itex]y=x[/itex] anywhere you can, it will be all quite simple.
    Which parametrization did you try ?

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3
    I tried x,x,z not sure though.

5. Aug 23, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That surface itself is defined by y= x. The position vector for any point on that surface is r(x, z)= <x, x, z>. Two tangent vectors, at any point are rx= < 1, 1, 0> and another is rz= <0, 0, 1>. The vector differential of surface area is given by [itex]d\vec{S}= \vec{v_s}\times\vec{v_t} dsdt[/itex]. Write your vector function in terms of s and t and integrate the dot product [itex]\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{S}[/itex]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  6. Aug 23, 2011 #5
    Thank you very much, that's what I did after I got the parametrisation. I wasn't sure about it though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook