Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Floyd lives in PF !

1. Aug 29, 2004 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just noticed Tsunami's signature, and I said to myself, "Damn, there seem to be a bunch of Floydheads over here."

I recall Kerrie used to have a Floyd lyric based signature too - don't remember exactly what it was...

So really, who here digs Pink Floyd, and why ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2004 #2
    I like to listen to Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall". I actually considered playing it over the loudspeakers during school assembly, but my responsibility as prefect got the better of me.

4. Aug 29, 2004 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think Dark Side of the Moon was one of the first albums I ever bought.
    I was about 14 when The Wall came out in theaters. I lived in a small town in the Southern U.S. and it was considered to be a very weird and controversial film. I just HAD to see it.
    When I was 15 my mom started dating my step dad. I went through his record collection and found a copy of Pink Floyd's Animals. I was convinced from then on that he had to be a pretty cool guy.

5. Aug 29, 2004 #4

Tsu

Gold Member

Floyd rocks. There IS no bad Floyd. Or Led Zeppelin... or Dire Straits... Don't get me started again.

6. Aug 29, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love Pink Floyd, even though most of my friends think I'm pretty weird as a result. But then again, I have almost 2,000 albums, and Floyd is definitely not the weirdest. If only they knew what the really weird stuff was.....

I love Floyd for the feeling - the general soundscape. I know it's mostly just the result of heavy effects, but what can I say? Heavy effects affect me. Other heavy-effects bands like U2 and The Verve evoke the same distinct reaction in me.

And the solos, the solos..... dear God, the solos.....

My favorite Flyod album is actually "Pulse," one of their live sets. It's not that the set those chose to play was that incredible, but its recording quality is actually better than many of their studio albums.

- Warren

7. Aug 29, 2004 #6
    Not many bands (modern) turn listening to a CD into a trip through an art gallery.

8. Aug 29, 2004 #7
    I totally agree! Roger Waters sure can put some feeling in his guitar parts. I especially like the solo in comfortably numb. And I think among their best songs are "shine on you crazy diamond", "another brick in the wall", "wish you were here", and "high hopes".

9. Aug 29, 2004 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My heart just did a little somersault, when I read that.

For one thing, nobody, but nobody listens to Dire Straits in this whole wide country. A large percentage of Floyd fans are mostly into Floyd as a means of enhancing a weed induced high. There are a large number of Led Zep enthusiasts, but you'll soon find that most of them have heard little else than Stairway.

The intersection of the above three sets, is fairly null.

I hope you tried the Music Trivia Quiz...

10. Aug 29, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, do you have the CD with the blinking red LED ? That is really one heck of a good recording.

If I had to pick one concert (among all bands and times) to go to...I think I'd pick the Berlin one that was part of the Pulse Tour. If you have not seen that DVD, it worth the trip to your local (non-Blockbuster) video store.

11. Aug 29, 2004 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I went to a Waters concert in Cincinnati - it was the summer of 2000. It was great but still, a little disappointing. Somehow (mostly perhaps, because of the lack of Gilmour) it didn't feel and sound as good - even though he did do stuff from Division Bell (which, I think was mostly written by Gilmour). Maybe it was just my state of mind...

12. Aug 29, 2004 #11

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

a HUGE Floyd fan here too! :biggrin:

First off, The Wall is highly influenced by Roger Waters and was the end of Pink Floyd because of his need to control when he should have realized the musical talent of Gilmour meshed very well with his style...once Waters left and Gilmour, Mason and & Wright went on to do Momentary and Division Bell, it just did not have the same weird edge that Waters gave...Personally, The Wall is my least favorite, but definitely a good piece by the band...Dark Side of the Moon is a classic and no words needed here to explain it :wink:

Animals, Wish you were here and Meddle are all superb, but one album many have not heard of that deserves some recognition is More-it is a soundtrack from a movie that Floyd did the entire album for. Pre-Gilmour stuff I have never explored as thoroughly, but "See Emily Play" & "Careful with that axe Eugene" are great songs from Syd Barrett...

Yes, Floyd has contributed greatness to this world with their wonderful music :approve:

13. Aug 29, 2004 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And y'all thought PF stood for physicsforums...

14. Aug 29, 2004 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

About 4 months ago I was Googling around looking for a discussion forum where I had previously seen some interesting Pink Floyd trivia relating to Astronomy Domine - that website too had PF in their name.

About 4 months ago, was April 2004....

15. Aug 29, 2004 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For me, music by Floyd qualifies as a genre of one. I was hooked the first time I heard them - when DSOTM first came out. I have never tired of a single song. I never like Money, and I still hate the alarm clocks in Time, otherwise their stuff is music for the soul, IMO.

16. Aug 29, 2004 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think Comfortably Numb was my alltime favorite song by PF. And I love the vocals on Great Gig in the Sky. Who was that singer anyway?

Hey Gokul - maybe we need a Pink Floyd trivia quiz!! :biggrin:

17. Aug 29, 2004 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I doubt there'd be enough takers ...but sure, I'll give it a shot. Perhaps I should put it here instead of with the Quizzes ?

18. Aug 29, 2004 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure - you could do it just like those fun trivia games you used to make for us.
    Cool! :cool:

19. Aug 29, 2004 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Floyd Trivia Quiz Tomorrow

This is just advance warning. I'm putting up a Pink Floyd Trivia Quiz on a new thread tomorrow.

20. Aug 29, 2004 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Another Brick in the Wall! I remember that being a favorite for roller-skating when I was a kid.

Yep, Floyd has a way of triggering memories for me. And, no, not because I ever did anything that would have made me forget the memories.

21. Aug 30, 2004 #20

plover

Homework Helper

Several species of small furry animals gathered together in an internet forum...

"This whole wide country" being Australia in your case? As far as I'm aware the only Dire Straits tracks that anyone in the US ever knew are "Money for Nothing", "Sultans of Swing", and maybe "Walk of Life", and they probably haven't listened to them in over 10 years anyway. I can't say that I listen to Dire Straits much at this point, though they were one of my musical obsessions as a teenager (from before "Brothers in Arms" came out! before I tell you... :biggrin: ). "Telegraph Road" remains one of my favorite songs though. Is any of their recent stuff any good? I've never actually heard it.

As for Floyd, my favorite album is probably "Wish You Were Here". And I should probably mention the song "Echoes", just 'cuz no one else has...

In one of the electronic music classes I took back in the 80's, I got to use a VCS-3 synthesizer - the same kind that's used on DSOTM. While I've never been as keen on DSOTM as some, it's extremely impressive that they could get the music they did out of such a primitive and unwieldy piece of equipment.

For those who like pre-DSOTM Floyd, I recommend checking out God Speed You, Black Emperor's "Lift Your Skinny Arms Like Antennae To Heaven" and Explosions in the Sky's "The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place".

And I have to agree with chroot that those who think Floyd is exceptionally weird don't know from weird...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?