Fluid: Archimedes Principle Homework Question

In summary: And just to add to the confusion, the paragraph beneath the equations tells me to use Fg = mg = pwatergV. Sorry for the error, I got the question from one of my professors!In summary, using the given information of the mass of a Kennedy half-dollar, the density of water, and the densities of silver and copper, a calculation was attempted to determine the mass of silver in the coin. However, after solving a pair of equations, the answer did not match the provided answer. It was later discovered that the formula used for determining volume was incorrect, resulting in an incorrect calculation.
VincentweZu

Homework Statement

A Kennedy half-dollar has a mass that is 1.150 x 10-2 kg. The coin is a mixture of silver and copper, and in water weighs 0.1011 N. Determine the mass of silver in the coin.

Homework Equations

Explicit givens: m = 1.150 x 10-2kg
apparent weight = 0.1011N
Implicit givens: density of water = 1 x 103kg/m3
density of copper = 8890 kg/m3
density of silver = 10500 kg/m3
Fg = mg
FB = pwatergV

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the apparent weight is given (0.1011N). the actual weight should be defined using:
Fg = 0.1011 + FB (Buoyancy force)
Fg = 0.1011 + pwatergV

the mass of the coin should be the sum of the mass of silver and copper therefore:
m = msilver + mcopper
m = msilver + pcopperV
I isolated for V since it is an unknown variable in both equations
V = (m - msilver)/pcopper

After substituting V and I solved for msilver and got 9.77 x 10-4kg however the answer which is provided to me is 6.3 x 10-3kg

I don't understand what I did wrong for this question! I've triple checked my work, may someone please point out where I have made a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is an error in the given numbers.
The buoyant force is mg - .1011 = .0117 N.
V = FB/ρ = .0117/1000 = 1.17 x 10^-5
density of coin: .0116/(1.17 x 10^-5) = 983.
But the coin has to be more dense than water, so this makes no sense.
It would be worth checking the questions to make sure the numbers were copied correctly.

I think the numbers will work out.

You were given the mass of the coin in the question statement so you automatically have its weight (mg). The apparent weight in water is also given. The difference in these weights should be the weight of water displaced. From there it's a small hop to the volume. So no need to solve a pair of equations to determine the volume!

So you have total mass and total volume.

To determine the masses of each element present you should be able to set up two equations, one for mass and one for volume, to solve for the individual masses.

Note that the results will be very sensitive to the value used for g. Use g = 9.8m/s2 to get the book result.

VincentweZu said:
the mass of the coin should be the sum of the mass of silver and copper therefore:
m = msilver + mcopper
m = msilver + pcopperV
I isolated for V since it is an unknown variable in both equations
V = (m - msilver)/pcopper

I think this is where you went wrong. This V should actually be Vcopper (in other words, the proportionate volume of the coin which the copper takes up). And this is not equal to V the total volume of the coin.

Delphi51 said:
The buoyant force is mg - .1011 = .0117 N.
V = FB/ρ = .0117/1000 = 1.17 x 10^-5
That's right for the buoyant force, but the equation for V should be: V = FB/ρg.

Edit: wow, 3 homework helpers! this guy is getting a lot of attention!

BruceW said:

Hey, it's Friday night and things are slow... :smile:

BruceW said:
I think this is where you went wrong. This V should actually be Vcopper (in other words, the proportionate volume of the coin which the copper takes up). And this is not equal to V the total volume of the coin.That's right for the buoyant force, but the equation for V should be: V = FB/ρg.

I never caught that mistake haha! Thank you very much!

Thanks everyone for helping out! It has been appreciated.

Darn, I didn't even check that formula! Thanks, Bruce.

Related to Fluid: Archimedes Principle Homework Question

What is Archimedes' Principle?

Archimedes' Principle states that the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

How do you calculate buoyant force?

Buoyant force can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the volume of the fluid displaced by the submerged object.

What is the significance of Archimedes' Principle?

Archimedes' Principle is significant because it helps explain why objects float or sink in a fluid. It also plays a key role in many engineering and scientific applications, such as determining the buoyancy of ships and designing submarines.

Can Archimedes' Principle be applied to any fluid?

Yes, Archimedes' Principle can be applied to any fluid, including liquids and gases.

How does the density of an object affect its buoyancy?

The density of an object affects its buoyancy by determining whether it will float or sink in a fluid. An object with a higher density than the fluid will sink, while an object with a lower density will float.