What is happening in this fluid dynamics problem and how can we approach it?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the fluid speed at a certain point in a conduit with given fluid and sound speed before the point. The length of the conduit is also known. The conversation discusses different approaches to solving the problem, including using the information about the lineal evolution of speed, assuming constant acceleration, and writing equations for position and velocity. However, due to limited information and poor English in the problem statement, the solution does not fit within the course materials. The conversation concludes by asking for resources or information to help approach the problem.
Anonymous____1

Homework Statement

Problem:
ppDy6
https://imgur.com/a/ppDy6

Calculate the fluid speed at a certain point

Given fluid and sound speed before the point

Length of the conduct

2. Useful Equations:

Uniformly accelerated motion(my solution)

I have been studying this problem it for some time, have consulted the resources of the subject, teachers in and out of my university, asked friends, and none of them knew how to solve it or give me an starting point.

I know its related to shock waves but i don't know how to solve it with the little information given, i have tried to solve it on a different way by:
  • Using the information given about the lineal evolution of the speed
  • Guessing the acceleration is constant
  • Writing the position and velocity equations of movement
  • Making the derivative to obtain the instant velocity
  • Calculate it for the intervals stated,
Both the problem and this solution doesn't fit within the course materials(dynamic fluids ampliation), so, i don't know if this is a valid approach. If you could give me some resources to learn and find the answer or some information about how i can approach it i will really appreciate it.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
upload_2017-9-23_11-59-34.png
If we can understand the physics of this problem then probably getting the actual solution won't be too difficult . The scanty information and poor English of the problem statement doesn't help us much so we'll have to try to work things out for ourselves .

Let's hear from you first - What do you think is actually happening in that conduit ? What physical events are occurring ?

What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, behave when they are in motion. This includes understanding how they move, how their properties change, and how they interact with their surroundings.

What are shock waves?

Shock waves are a type of wave that occurs when there is a sudden and drastic change in the properties of a fluid, such as its density or pressure. They are characterized by a sharp increase in pressure and temperature, and can be created by explosions, supersonic objects, or other extreme events.

How are shock waves related to fluid dynamics?

Shock waves are an important part of fluid dynamics because they can greatly affect the behavior of fluids. They can cause turbulence, changes in flow patterns, and other dynamic effects. Understanding shock waves is essential for many applications in fields such as aerodynamics, astrophysics, and materials science.

What factors affect the formation of shock waves?

Several factors can influence the formation of shock waves. These include the speed and shape of the object or event creating the shock wave, the properties of the fluid, and the surrounding conditions such as temperature and pressure.

What are some real-world applications of understanding shock waves?

Understanding shock waves has many practical applications. It is crucial for designing supersonic aircraft, improving the efficiency of engines, and studying the behavior of stars and other celestial bodies. It also plays a role in fields such as meteorology, medicine, and materials science.