1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Fluid Flow

  1. May 11, 2008 #1


    User Avatar

    I understand that there can be turbulent flow and laminar flow. However, there is a term 'eddies/eddy' related to this which is not explained in my textbooks. What is an 'eddies/eddy'? :confused:

    Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    An eddy is one of those little "swirls" of fluid that forms when a fluid flows past an obstacle in its path.

    These current have an analog in electrical currents as well. For instance a changing magnetic field can induce circular currents of electrons in a metal. This circular electron currents are also called eddy currents or "eddies."
  4. May 12, 2008 #3


    User Avatar

    So, does an 'eddy/eddies' only occur on a laminar flow as it does not pass the obstacle in its path?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook