1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid in rotating tube with different initial levels

1. Jul 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ddddddd.png

2. Relevant equations
    Fluid in rotation

3. The attempt at a solution
    This exercise is quite different from the classic one of fluidi in rotation. Before rotation starts the height in one branch is bigger than in the other, so I do not really know how to approach the problem.

My main difficulty is: how can I determine the constant ##C## in the following expression in this case?

$$p(r,z)=-\rho g z+\frac{1}{2} \rho \omega^2 r^2+C$$

(The frame of reference considered has the ##z## axis towards up and placed on axis of rotation, ##r## is the radial coordinate)

The fact is that I do not really know how to impose the condition for determinimg ##C## as a function of ##\omega## (which is what I want to determine). I think that, once ##C## is determined the rest of exercise is straightforward.

So how can I determine ##C##?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In condition a), what is the height of the fluid in the open section? What is the pressure at its top?

4. Jul 17, 2016 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can't use Bernoulli when the tube is rotated.
    Instead:
    What total centripetal force is needed to maintain the system in equilibrium when pA = 0.8e5 Pa?
    How is this force going to be provided?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted