Fluid in rotating tube with different initial levels

In summary, the student is trying to find the constant C in an expression involving pressure and angular momentum, but does not know how to impose the condition for determining C. They think that once C is determined the rest of the expression is straightforward. They need to find the total centripetal force needed to keep the system in equilibrium when pA = 0.8e5 Pa.
Soren4

Homework Statement

ddddddd.png

Homework Equations

Fluid in rotation

The Attempt at a Solution

This exercise is quite different from the classic one of fluidi in rotation. Before rotation starts the height in one branch is bigger than in the other, so I do not really know how to approach the problem.

My main difficulty is: how can I determine the constant ##C## in the following expression in this case?

$$p(r,z)=-\rho g z+\frac{1}{2} \rho \omega^2 r^2+C$$

(The frame of reference considered has the ##z## axis towards up and placed on axis of rotation, ##r## is the radial coordinate)

The fact is that I do not really know how to impose the condition for determinimg ##C## as a function of ##\omega## (which is what I want to determine). I think that, once ##C## is determined the rest of exercise is straightforward.

So how can I determine ##C##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Soren4 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 103167

Homework Equations

Fluid in rotation

The Attempt at a Solution

This exercise is quite different from the classic one of fluidi in rotation. Before rotation starts the height in one branch is bigger than in the other, so I do not really know how to approach the problem.

My main difficulty is: how can I determine the constant ##C## in the following expression in this case?

$$p(r,z)=-\rho g z+\frac{1}{2} \rho \omega^2 r^2+C$$

(The frame of reference considered has the ##z## axis towards up and placed on axis of rotation, ##r## is the radial coordinate)

The fact is that I do not really know how to impose the condition for determinimg ##C## as a function of ##\omega## (which is what I want to determine). I think that, once ##C## is determined the rest of exercise is straightforward.

So how can I determine ##C##?
In condition a), what is the height of the fluid in the open section? What is the pressure at its top?

Soren4 said:
You can't use Bernoulli when the tube is rotated.
Instead:
What total centripetal force is needed to maintain the system in equilibrium when pA = 0.8e5 Pa?
How is this force going to be provided?

1. What is the purpose of studying fluid in rotating tube with different initial levels?

Studying fluid in rotating tube with different initial levels can help scientists better understand the behavior of fluids in a rotating system. This knowledge can be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as weather patterns, ocean currents, and industrial processes.

2. How does the rotation of the tube affect the behavior of the fluid?

The rotation of the tube creates centrifugal forces that can cause the fluid to move in a circular motion. This motion can result in changes in the fluid's surface level and can also affect its flow and stability.

3. What factors can influence the initial level of the fluid in the tube?

The initial level of the fluid in the tube can be influenced by various factors, including the volume of the fluid, the diameter of the tube, and the speed of rotation. Other factors such as the viscosity and density of the fluid may also play a role.

4. How does the initial level of the fluid affect its behavior in the rotating tube?

The initial level of the fluid can impact its behavior in the rotating tube by determining its shape and distribution within the tube. If the fluid is initially unevenly distributed, it can lead to instabilities and changes in the fluid's surface level during rotation.

5. What are some potential applications of studying fluid in rotating tube with different initial levels?

The study of fluid in rotating tube with different initial levels has various applications, including in the design and optimization of industrial processes, the prediction of weather patterns, and the understanding of ocean dynamics. It can also aid in the development of more efficient and sustainable energy sources.