[Fluid mechanics] Find pressure gradient

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a known velocity field and an incompressible fluid. The goal is to find the pressure gradient and determine if it is a turbulent flow. The individual suggests using the pressure equation but is told by their teacher that it is not the correct solution. They then consider using the continuity equation but are unsure of how to proceed.
Fizban83
First of all sorry my english, I'm an italian student

Homework Statement

The velocity field is known

ux=6x+8z*cos(a*t)
uy=3xz*sin(b*t)+2
uz=-6z

The fluid is incompressible.

I need to find the pressure gradient and the i have to determine if it's a turbulent flows, but at the moment i need help for the first question

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought to use the pressure equation

div (grad(p)) = −div (div(vv))

but i should solve the problem analitically and talking with teacher he told me that this isn't the righ solution, obviously i cannot use the bernoulli equation because the fluid is viscous

Physics news on Phys.org
.I thought then to use the continuity equation, but i'm not sure if it's the right way and if yes how can i use it.Thanks in advance

Related to [Fluid mechanics] Find pressure gradient

1. What is pressure gradient in fluid mechanics?

Pressure gradient refers to the change in pressure over a given distance in a fluid. It is a measure of how quickly the pressure changes in a particular direction.

2. How is pressure gradient calculated?

Pressure gradient is calculated by dividing the change in pressure by the distance over which the change occurs. This can be represented by the equation ΔP/Δx, where ΔP is the change in pressure and Δx is the change in distance.

3. What is the significance of pressure gradient in fluid mechanics?

Pressure gradient is an important concept in fluid mechanics as it helps us understand and predict the movement of fluids. It also plays a crucial role in determining the direction and rate of fluid flow.

4. How does pressure gradient affect fluid flow?

Pressure gradient affects fluid flow by creating a force that causes the fluid to move from high pressure to low pressure areas. The greater the pressure gradient, the higher the force and thus, the faster the fluid flow.

5. How can pressure gradient be manipulated in fluid mechanics?

Pressure gradient can be manipulated in fluid mechanics by changing the properties of the fluid, such as its viscosity or density, or by altering the shape of the container or vessel that the fluid is in. Additionally, external forces, such as pumps or turbines, can also be used to manipulate pressure gradient.