Fluid Mechanics problem - cylinder over a orifice

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Bernoulli's equation to find the static pressure of a fluid in a clearance between a round orifice and a mounted cylinder in a wide vessel. The Bernoulli equation is applied between two points, one at the orifice and one at a distance r from the axis, and the velocity is found using the equation of continuity. The resulting pressure function is given by ##P(r)=P_o+\rho gh\left(1-\frac{R_1^2}{r^2}\right)##.
Saitama

Homework Statement

The horizontal bottom of a wide vessel with an ideal fluid has a round orifice of radius ##R_1## over which a round closed cylinder is mounted, whose radius ##R_2>R_1##. The clearance between the cylinder and the bottom of vessel is very small, the fluid density is ##\rho##. Find the static pressure of fluid in the clearance as a function of the distance r from the axis of the orifice (and the cylinder), if the height of the fluid is equal to ##h##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have to apply the Bernoulli's equation but I need two points to apply the Bernoulli equation. How do I find those points? :confused:

I understand I should show some more attempt but I really can't get the intuition behind these fluid mechanics problem so I am unable to make any attempt.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.84.png
    1.84.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:
I think I have to apply the Bernoulli's equation but I need two points to apply the Bernoulli equation. How do I find those points? :confused:

You might start with two points where you know some information. For example, what can you learn by picking points 1 and 2 as shown?

Attachments

• cylinder flow 1.png
    cylinder flow 1.png
    7 KB · Views: 410
Likes 1 person
Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:
Pranav-Arora said:
I think I have to apply the Bernoulli's equation but I need two points to apply the Bernoulli equation.

No, you need a streamline

Bernoulli's equation is always and only valid along a streamline.​

Once you've drawn a streamline, it should be obvious what to do next. :wink:

Hi TSny and tiny-tim! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
No, you need a streamline

Bernoulli's equation is always and only valid along a streamline.​

Once you've drawn a streamline, it should be obvious what to do next. :wink:

I use the streamline shown by TSny and the reference line is a line passing through 2.

From Bernoulli's equation,
$$P_1+\rho gh+\frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2=P_2+\frac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2$$

I am not sure but is ##P_1=P_2## as both points are open to atmosphere or medium outside? Also, how do I relate ##v_1## and ##v_2##? :confused:

Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:
Pranav-Arora said:
… how do I relate ##v_1## and ##v_2##? :confused:

Draw circles round the hole …

since the density is constant, isn't it obvious from the geometry how the speed must increase as the circles get smaller? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Draw circles round the hole …

since the density is constant, isn't it obvious from the geometry how the speed must increase as the circles get smaller? :wink:

Yes, I do understand that speed increases as the hole size decreases. Okay, so let the area of hole in clearance be s and that of wide vessel be S. From equation of continuity, ##Sv_1=sv_2## but what now? Do I approximate ##v_1## equal to zero? :confused:

the pressure (under the cylinder) is a function of r

the pressure in the outlet should be the same as if the cylinder wasn't there :wink:

tiny-tim said:
the pressure (under the cylinder) is a function of r

the pressure in the outlet should be the same as if the cylinder wasn't there :wink:

I don't think I get this, can you please elaborate a bit more? :redface:

the gauge pressure for an outlet (to the atmosphere) is zero, so that gives you v in the outlet :wink:

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
the static pressure for an outlet (to the atmosphere) is zero, so that gives you v in the outlet :wink:

So that means ##v_2=\sqrt{2gh}##? But the question asks something else...

yes, it asks for P as a function of r, as r moves away from the rim of the hole

tiny-tim said:
yes, it asks for P as a function of r, as r moves away from the rim of the hole

Hehe tiny-tim. :P

But I don't get why you asked me to find the speed, I am honestly not sure what to do with it. How do I find the pressure as a function of r? :confused:

Bernoulli's equation gives you the pressure if you know the speed. :wink:

Likes 1 person
The fluid is going to be entering the hole horizontally (i.e., radially), so the volumetric throughput rate entering the hole is going to be [itex]2\pi R_1t\sqrt{2gh}[/itex], where t is the clearance. Once you know the volumetric throughput rate, you can get the fluid velocity at any radial location r.

Chestermiller said:
The fluid is going to be entering the hole horizontally (i.e., radially), so the volumetric throughput rate entering the hole is going to be [itex]2\pi R_1t\sqrt{2gh}[/itex], where t is the clearance. Once you know the volumetric throughput rate, you can get the fluid velocity at any radial location r.

Hi Chestermiller!

Okay, I see that you find the rate of flow of liquid but I still don't get how to find the pressure as a function of r.

Do I have to apply Bernoulli at 2 and at some distance r from the axis?

Pranav-Arora said:
Hi Chestermiller!

Okay, I see that you find the rate of flow of liquid but I still don't get how to find the pressure as a function of r.

Do I have to apply Bernoulli at 2 and at some distance r from the axis?

Yes. You have the pressure and velocity at r = R1, and you have the velocity at arbitrary r, so you use the Bernoulli equation between these two locations to get the pressure at r.

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
Yes. You have the pressure and velocity at r = R1, and you have the velocity at arbitrary r, so you use the Bernoulli equation between these two locations to get the pressure at r.

Thanks Chestermiller and tiny-tim! :smile:

Applying Bernoulli at 2 and at a distance r,
$$P_o+\frac{1}{2}\rho(\sqrt{2gh})^2=P(r)+\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2$$
From equation of continuity, I have
$$A(r)v=2\pi R_1t\sqrt{2gh} \Rightarrow 2\pi rtv=2\pi R_1t\sqrt{2gh} \Rightarrow v=\frac{R_1\sqrt{2gh}}{r}$$

Substituting in Bernoulli and solving for P(r),
$$\boxed{P(r)=P_o+\rho gh\left(1-\frac{R_1^2}{r^2}\right)}$$
(##P_o## is the atmospheric pressure)

yes, that looks right :smile:

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
yes, that looks right :smile:

Thanks tiny-tim! :)

I compared my answer with the answer given in book. The book shows the condition that ##R_1<r<R_2##. I don't get this. Why not ##R_1 \leq r \leq R_2##? The P(r) I have found is valid for ##R_1##, I am not sure about ##R_2## though.

Pranav-Arora said:
The P(r) I have found is valid for ##R_1##, I am not sure about ##R_2## though.

i agree with you …

it seems obviously valid for R1, but "at" (or even near) R2 there's likely to be some "edge effect" (related to the movement not being entirely horizontal)

all this is academic … for an "ideal" fluid and "ideal" cylinder, your limits are just as good as the book's! :smile:

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
i agree with you …

it seems obviously valid for R1, but "at" (or even near) R2 there's likely to be some "edge effect" (related to the movement not being entirely horizontal)

all this is academic … for an "ideal" fluid and "ideal" cylinder, your limits are just as good as the book's! :smile:

Thank you once again tiny-tim! :smile:

1. What is the significance of a cylinder over an orifice in fluid mechanics?

In fluid mechanics, a cylinder over an orifice is a common problem used to understand the behavior of fluids when they pass through a restricted opening. This problem helps in studying the flow rate, pressure, and velocity of the fluid.

2. How do you calculate the flow rate of a fluid passing through a cylinder over an orifice?

The flow rate can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which states that the sum of the kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy of the fluid remains constant. Using this equation, the flow rate can be calculated by equating the pressure difference between the two ends of the orifice with the product of the cross-sectional area and the velocity of the fluid.

3. How does the size of the orifice affect the flow rate in a cylinder over an orifice problem?

The size of the orifice has a significant impact on the flow rate in a cylinder over an orifice problem. A smaller orifice will result in a higher flow rate, as the fluid has to pass through a smaller opening, increasing its velocity. On the other hand, a larger orifice will result in a lower flow rate, as there is more space for the fluid to pass through, reducing its velocity.

4. Can you explain the concept of pressure drop in a cylinder over an orifice problem?

In a cylinder over an orifice problem, the fluid experiences a pressure drop as it passes through the restricted opening. This is due to the conversion of pressure energy into kinetic energy as the fluid accelerates through the orifice. This pressure drop can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation and is directly proportional to the velocity of the fluid.

5. What are the real-world applications of a cylinder over an orifice problem in fluid mechanics?

The cylinder over an orifice problem has various practical applications, such as in designing nozzles, valves, and pumps. It is also used in industries like chemical, petroleum, and food processing to understand and optimize the flow of fluids through pipes and other equipment. Additionally, this problem is also used in hydraulic systems, aerodynamics, and environmental engineering.