At what distance does a seaplane's boundary layer transition to turbulence?

The summary of the conversation is as follows: "In summary, the question is asking for the distance from the leading edge of the underside of the fuselage where the boundary layer transitions to turbulence. The Reynolds number is used to determine this transition, with a value of 500000 being the threshold for turbulent flow. The characteristic length L can be calculated using the formula L = Re(u)/(pv), where u is the viscosity of air at 45*F (3.66 x 10^-7 lbf*s/ft^2), p is the density of air (0.00245 slug/ft
Brian T

Homework Statement

A seaplane flies at 100 mph through air at 45 *F. At what distance from the leading edge of the underside of the fuselage does the boundary layer transition to turbulence?

Homework Equations

Re = pvL/u
Re is Reynolds number
p (rho) is the density
V is the characteristic velocity
L is the characteristic length
u (mu) is the viscosity

The Attempt at a Solution

For turbulent flow (as said by my prof and the book), Re > 500000. So to find out when it transitions to turbulence, set Re to 500000 and solve for the characteric length L.

Solving for L, L = (Re)(u)/(p)(v)

From the appendix, the viscosity of air at 45*F is u = 3.66 x 10^-7 (lbf) (s) /ft^2 and p =. 00245 slug/ft^3. V is 100 mph which becomes 146.666 ft/s. Plugging these in, and Re = 500000, I get am answer of .511 ft.

The book, however, says the answer is. 295 ft. Can anyone help me out? I believe the calculation is correct as I ran it several times, but is there something I'm doing wrong or an assumption I'm missing? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show us the calculation, including the manipulation of the units.

Chet

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their behavior under various conditions, such as flow rate, pressure, and temperature.

2. What are some common applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has a wide range of applications, including designing and analyzing aircraft and automobile aerodynamics, predicting weather patterns, understanding blood flow in the human body, and designing efficient pipelines and pumps for industrial processes.

3. What are the main principles of fluid mechanics?

The main principles of fluid mechanics are conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles help us understand how fluids behave and interact with their surroundings.

4. How do you solve a fluid mechanics problem?

To solve a fluid mechanics problem, you need to first identify the type of problem (e.g. flow rate, pressure, viscosity) and then apply the relevant equations and principles. It is important to accurately define the problem and use appropriate units and assumptions in your calculations.

5. What are some challenges in solving fluid mechanics problems?

Some common challenges in solving fluid mechanics problems include accurately modeling real-world conditions, dealing with non-ideal fluids, and incorporating the effects of turbulence and viscosity. Additionally, the complexity of the equations and calculations involved can also pose a challenge.