1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics Problem

1. Jul 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A seaplane flies at 100 mph through air at 45 *F. At what distance from the leading edge of the underside of the fuselage does the boundary layer transition to turbulence?

2. Relevant equations
    Re = pvL/u
    Re is Reynolds number
    p (rho) is the density
    V is the characteristic velocity
    L is the characteristic length
    u (mu) is the viscosity

3. The attempt at a solution
    For turbulent flow (as said by my prof and the book), Re > 500000. So to find out when it transitions to turbulence, set Re to 500000 and solve for the characteric length L.

Solving for L, L = (Re)(u)/(p)(v)

From the appendix, the viscosity of air at 45*F is u = 3.66 x 10^-7 (lbf) (s) /ft^2 and p =. 00245 slug/ft^3. V is 100 mph which becomes 146.666 ft/s. Plugging these in, and Re = 500000, I get am answer of .511 ft.

The book, however, says the answer is. 295 ft. Can anyone help me out? I believe the calculation is correct as I ran it several times, but is there something I'm doing wrong or an assumption I'm missing? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2015 #2
    Please show us the calculation, including the manipulation of the units.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted