Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux Density, B, of a Cylindrical Magent

1. Feb 21, 2017 #1
    Hi, I'm trying to calculate the flux density of a magnet, I can get all but one of the values needed to calculate it. Does anyone know how/where to get the z(distance from a pole face on the symmetrical axis) value? Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 12.33.07 PM.png

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

z is just a variable. It looks like you have an equation there which would work along the z axis for varying distances, no?

BTW, is this for schoolwork or a hobby project?

4. Feb 21, 2017 #3
    Thanks for responding, It's for school but it feels more like a hobby, I was thinking of just assuming a value for z. I'm studying mechanical engineering so electrical isn't my strong point. But I believe it might be a set value, maybe a distance from the pole face to the height of the flux field? but then I don't know the height of the flux field anyway

My reason for thinking its a set value is because the flux density of the magnet shouldnt change with respect to z not so?

5. Feb 21, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No, it definitely changes with distance z. It looks like this:

http://www.4physics.com/phy_demo/NewtonsNightmare/ShortBarMagnetBField.gif
    ShortBarMagnetBField.gif
    So yes, just use the equation to calculate the flux density at some distance z away from the pole face.

6. Feb 21, 2017 #5
    Oh okay thanks!!

but what if the distance I wanted to calculate B for is horizontally across from the magnet instead of vertically away from it? A different formula?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted