What Is the Correct Approach to Calculate Flux Through a Sphere?

In summary: Yes, it corresponds to the special case where the vector field coincides with position vector, so in Cartesian coordinates reads ##\mathbf r = \langle x,y,z \rangle##.
renegade05

Homework Statement

What is the flux of r through a spherical surface of radius a?

Homework Equations

I'm guessing I should use a surface integral? ∫v.da ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging in: I would get ∫r.da ? but what is a small patch of a sphere?

I'm kind of confused. Not really sure what r is even. Is this just any vector going through the sphere?

Please help

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
renegade05 said:
The da there is a vector normal to an infinitesimal surface area element on the sphere. You can find it by parametrising the surface by some appropriate coordinates, thereby finding two vectors lying in the plane of the sphere which infinitesimally span a flat plane. This constitutes the area element you speak of. The derivation is done in most books.
I'm kind of confused. Not really sure what r is even. Is this just any vector going through the sphere?
Yes, it corresponds to the special case where the vector field coincides with position vector, so in Cartesian coordinates reads ##\mathbf r = \langle x,y,z \rangle##. Your problem suggests working with the equivalent expression in a different set of coordinates.

Well, it might be simpler to use Gauss's integral theorem
[tex]\int_{V} \mathrm{d}^3 r \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{V} = \int_{\partial V} \mathrm{d} \vec{a} \cdot \vec{V}.[/tex]

renegade05 said:

Homework Statement

What is the flux of r through a spherical surface of radius a?
Do you mean a sphere of radius a with center at the origin?

Homework Equations

I'm guessing I should use a surface integral? ∫v.da ?
Yes, you should. And to find what you call "da" (I would call it "[itex]d\vec{S}[/itex]") write the surface in parametric equations- the standard equations for spherical coordinates with "[itex]\rho[/itex]" set to "a":
[itex]x= a cos(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= a sin(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex], and [itex]z= a cos(\phi)[/itex].
You can write that as a "position vector" for any point on the surface of the sphere depending on [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]:
[tex]\vec{r}= a cos(\theta) sin(\phi)\vec{i}+ a sin(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{j}+ a cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/tex].
The derivatives with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] are vectors in the tangent plane at each point on the surface of the sphere:
[tex]\vec{r}_\theta= -a sin(\theta) sin(\phi)\vec{i}+ a cos(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{j}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{r}_\phi= a cos(\theta)cos(\phi)\vec{i}+ a sin(\theta)cos(\phi)\vec{j}- a sin(\phi)\vec{k}[/tex].

Finally, the cross product of those two vectors
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}\vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ a cos(\theta)cos(\phi) & a sin(\theta)cos(\phi) & -a sin(\phi) \\ -a sin(\theta)sin(\phi) & a cos(\theta)sin(\phi) & 0 \end{array}\right|= a^2cos(\theta)sin^2(\phi)\vec{i}+ a^2sin(\theta)sin^2(\phi)\vec{j}+ a^2sin(\phi)cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/tex]
is perpendicular to the sphere and contains "area information"- the vector differential of surface area is [itex](a^2cos(\theta)sin^2(\phi)\vec{i}+ a^2sin(\theta)sin^2(\phi)\vec{j}+ a^2sin(\phi)cos(\phi)\vec{k})d\theta d\phi[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Please help

thanks
[itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is the "position vector" of a point: [itex]x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex] in Cartesian coordinates and [itex]a cos(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{i}+ a sin(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{j}+ a cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/itex] in these coordinates.

Take the dot product, [itex]\vec{r}d\vec{S}[/itex], of those two vectors and integrate with [itex]0\le\theta\le 2\pi[/itex] and [itex]0\le\phi\le \pi[/itex].

(of course, Vanhees71 may well be right- it might be easier to use Gauss' integral theorem.)

Last edited by a moderator:
so I get an answer of :

[tex]\frac{8\pi a^3}{3}[/tex]

renegade05 said:
so I get an answer of :

[tex]\frac{8\pi a^3}{3}[/tex]
hey, try the question using the divergence theorem as vanhees71 suggested and compare your results :)

CAF123 said:
hey, try the question using the divergence theorem as vanhees71 suggested and compare your results :)

Yup got the same answer :)

How did you come to this result?

vanhees71 said:
How did you come to this result?

By plugging in the volume of the sphere (4pi a^3 /3) into the divergence theorem. My answer is two times that. I think that makes sense since the flux would indicate the outward and inward flux?

renegade05 said:
By plugging in the volume of the sphere (4pi a^3 /3) into the divergence theorem. My answer is two times that. I think that makes sense since the flux would indicate the outward and inward flux?

Is it not correct?

renegade05 said:
Is it not correct?
What is ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf r##, where ##\mathbf r## is the position vector? (A calculation most easily done in Cartesian coordinates)

CAF123 said:
What is ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf r##, where ##\mathbf r## is the position vector? (A calculation most easily done in Cartesian coordinates)

Whoops it's 4 pi a ^3

Now you've got it!:thumbs:

renegade05 said:
Whoops it's 4 pi a ^3
So did you figure out why you got a different result from the surface integral?

What is the flux of r through a sphere?

The flux of r through a sphere refers to the amount of a vector field that passes through the surface of a sphere. It is a measure of the strength and direction of the vector field at every point on the sphere's surface.

How is the flux of r through a sphere calculated?

The flux of r through a sphere is calculated using a mathematical formula known as Gauss's law. This formula takes into account both the strength and direction of the vector field as well as the surface area of the sphere to determine the total flux passing through the surface.

What factors affect the flux of r through a sphere?

The flux of r through a sphere is affected by the strength and direction of the vector field, as well as the size and orientation of the sphere. Additionally, the distance between the sphere and the source of the vector field can also impact the flux.

What are some real-life applications of flux of r through a sphere?

The concept of flux of r through a sphere has many applications in physics and engineering. It is used in electromagnetism to calculate the electric field and in fluid dynamics to measure the flow of a fluid through a surface.

How is the concept of flux of r through a sphere related to other mathematical concepts?

The concept of flux of r through a sphere is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as surface integrals and divergence. It is also a fundamental concept in the study of vector calculus and is often used in solving problems involving vector fields.