Calculating Flux, Blackbody Surface Fluxes, and Radii of Sirius A & B

In summary, to calculate the flux measured at Earth f5500, the blackbody surface fluxes B5500, and the radius (in m and solar radii) for Sirius A and B, you will need to use the central wavelength and flux calibration provided in Table 2, as well as the data for the Johnson V filter. You will also need to use the Stefan-Boltzmann law and the equation L = 4πR^2B5500 to calculate the radius.
sukisa

Homework Statement

The central wavelength and the flux calibration are given in Table 2 (f5500= Cv * 10^-0.4V)
Calculate the flux measured at Earth f5500, the blackbody surface fluxes B5500, and the radius (in m and solar radii)

For Sirus A and B

Table 1:
brightness Sirius A: Va= -1.46
brightness Sirius B: Vb= 8.44
TeffA= 9900K
TeffB=25,200K

Table 2: Data for the Johnson V filter
central wavelength lambda=5500 Angstrom
filter Constant Cv= 3.58*10^-2 W m^-2 m^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

I noted when attempting the problem that the apparent magnitude is the same as Va and Vb respectively.

I used the equation in the question to figure out the flux f5500 = (3.58*10^-2)(10^-0.4*-1.46)

I get an answer of 0.137 Wm^-2 for the flux.

I can tell this is wrong because I then need to find the radius and hence luminosity and I get figures several orders of magnitudes off from the actual values.

Do I need the surface flux B5500 to figure out the radius also? And is the surface flux B5500 the blackbody plank function?

If I get the flux I should be able to determine the luminosity (and thus radius) using L=4piR^2F then using L=4piR^2(boltsman)Teff^4 for the radius of sirius.

I know the distance to sirius as I figured out from a previous problem. My answer is 2.639pc which is constant with the measured values. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. It seems like you are on the right track in your attempt to solve this problem. To answer your questions, yes, you do need the surface flux B5500 to determine the radius. The surface flux B5500 is indeed the blackbody Planck function, which can be calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law: B5500 = σTeff^4, where σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant and Teff is the effective temperature.

To determine the radius, you can use the equation you mentioned: L = 4πR^2B5500, where L is the luminosity and R is the radius. You can then use the luminosity and the distance to Sirius A and B to calculate the radius in both meters and solar radii.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

1. How do you calculate flux?

Flux is calculated by dividing the total amount of radiation emitted by an object by the surface area of the object. The formula for flux is F = E/A, where F is flux, E is energy, and A is surface area.

2. What is blackbody surface flux?

Blackbody surface flux is the amount of radiation emitted by a theoretical object that absorbs all radiation that hits it. It is dependent on the temperature of the object and follows the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the flux is proportional to the fourth power of the temperature.

3. How do you calculate the radii of Sirius A & B?

The radii of Sirius A & B can be calculated by using the Stefan-Boltzmann law and the blackbody surface flux equation. First, the fluxes of both objects are calculated using their temperatures and the Stefan-Boltzmann constant. Then, the radii can be calculated by dividing the flux by the surface temperature and taking the square root.

4. What units are used to measure flux?

Flux is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m^2) in the SI system. In astronomy, it is also commonly measured in ergs per square centimeter per second (ergs/cm^2/s).

5. Can flux be negative?

Yes, flux can be negative if the object is absorbing more radiation than it is emitting. This can occur in certain situations, such as when an object is in the shadow of another object or is being eclipsed by another object.