How Do You Calculate Flux Through a Box with Varying Electric Fields?

• Thread starter Jim Newt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a problem involving finding the flux through a box with six faces. Jim is struggling with understanding the concept and asks for a more detailed explanation. The other person explains that the flux is calculated using the surface integral, with the normal vector pointing in the direction of the face. They provide examples for the top, bottom, right, and left faces, and suggest Jim try solving for the front and back faces.
Jim Newt
Hi all,

I hope you can see the attachment. Could someone give me a more detailed explanantion of solving this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer looks right to me, from a quick glance. What are you having problems with?

I'm having problems with the whole concept. For instance, why does the "right side" have a value of 18 dot 9, and the bottom have a value of -4 dot -9? Thanks,

Jim

Well, we have some field that is pointing through the surfaces of the box. So you are asked to find the flux through the entire box. The box obviously has six faces, I'll go through a few of them. . .

It's easier to write [tex]dA=\hat{n}\cdot dA[/tex], more intuitive to me at least . . .

top: the normal vector [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] points in the positive direction, so the flux
is [tex]\int \vec{E} \cdot \hat{n}dA= \int +E_{z} dA = -4\int dA = -36 [/tex]

Bottom: the normal vector [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] to the bottom points in the -z direction, so the flux is is
[tex]\int \vec{E} \cdot \hat{n}dA= \int -E_{z} dA = 4\int dA = +36 [/tex]

Right facing side: the normal vector [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] to the right points in the +j direction, so the flux is
[tex]\int \vec{E} \cdot \hat{n}dA= \int E_{y} dA = \int 2y^2 dA = \int 2y^2 dx dz
=2y^2_{y=3} \int dxdz = 18 * 9 = 162 [/tex]

left facing side: Same stuff here, but y=0 on the left side so the flux=0

I'll let you do the front and back sides. They are similar to the right/left faces. Hope that helps. . .

Last edited:

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Flux Through a Box with Varying Electric Fields?

1. How can experts help with problem solving?

Experts can provide valuable insights and knowledge in their respective fields to help identify the root cause of a problem and come up with effective solutions. They can also offer different perspectives and strategies that may not have been considered by non-experts.

2. What is the benefit of seeking help from experts?

The benefit of seeking help from experts is that they have specialized knowledge and experience in a particular field, making them more equipped to solve complex problems. They can also save time and resources by providing efficient and effective solutions.

3. How do I know if I need help from an expert?

If you have been struggling to find a solution to a problem or have exhausted all your own ideas, it may be time to seek help from an expert. Additionally, if the problem requires specialized knowledge or skills that you do not possess, an expert can provide valuable assistance.

4. What should I look for in an expert?

When seeking help from an expert, it is important to look for someone who has relevant experience and credentials in the specific area of the problem. It is also helpful to find someone who is approachable and willing to collaborate with you to find the best solution.

5. How can I effectively communicate with an expert?

To effectively communicate with an expert, it is important to clearly and concisely explain the problem and provide any relevant information or data. It is also helpful to actively listen to their suggestions and ask clarifying questions to ensure a mutual understanding of the problem and proposed solutions.