1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux question

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

I hope you can see the attachment. Could someone give me a more detailed explanantion of solving this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Jim

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2
    The answer looks right to me, from a quick glance. What are you having problems with?

4. Mar 5, 2008 #3
    I'm having problems with the whole concept. For instance, why does the "right side" have a value of 18 dot 9, and the bottom have a value of -4 dot -9? Thanks,

Jim

5. Mar 5, 2008 #4
    Well, we have some field that is pointing through the surfaces of the box. So you are asked to find the flux through the entire box. The box obviously has six faces, I'll go through a few of them. . .

It's easier to write [tex]dA=\hat{n}\cdot dA[/tex], more intuitive to me at least . . .

top: the normal vector [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] points in the positive direction, so the flux
    is [tex]\int \vec{E} \cdot \hat{n}dA= \int +E_{z} dA = -4\int dA = -36 [/tex]

Bottom: the normal vector [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] to the bottom points in the -z direction, so the flux is is
    [tex]\int \vec{E} \cdot \hat{n}dA= \int -E_{z} dA = 4\int dA = +36 [/tex]

Right facing side: the normal vector [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] to the right points in the +j direction, so the flux is
    [tex]\int \vec{E} \cdot \hat{n}dA= \int E_{y} dA = \int 2y^2 dA = \int 2y^2 dx dz
    =2y^2_{y=3} \int dxdz = 18 * 9 = 162 [/tex]

left facing side: Same stuff here, but y=0 on the left side so the flux=0

I'll let you do the front and back sides. They are similar to the right/left faces. Hope that helps. . .

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?