Flyback Voltage Spikes Emitted From an Unprotected Relay

In summary: No help is needed here.In summary, the conversation is about a person who did research and found that unprotected diodes were being used in relays for wiring harnesses in cars, causing multiple issues and costing the person over $1000 in damages. They bought protected relays and the problems were solved. The person is now trying to raise awareness but is being banned from forums and seeking a civil rights attorney. The conversation also discusses the importance of flyback diodes and potential risks of using them. The experts suggest that the person should focus on using better quality products in their builds to avoid these issues. PF is not expected to do anything about it.
CAMTWO
TL;DR Summary
Had an issue with electrical gremlins and blown sensors also 3 ECU's after buying a wiring harness from a Veteran in the industry. Back when this guy started Flyback wasnt even considered and besides the harnesses are installed in kitcars and hotrods built all around the world.All these wiring kits are plagued by flyback emitted from the huge amounts of cheap unprotected diodes they utilize. My ECU expert said I was spiking the heck out of my ECU with flyback due to lack of circuit protection
I research the phenomenon and came up with the fact they weren't using protected diodes in their relays they utilize in a multitude of wiring harnesses for cars and also go into factory built kitcars in massachusettes..

I was having huge issues and have accrued over $1000 in blown sensors and ignition modules and ECU's..wiring harness guy said it was my install skills ... Its his electrical engineering skills that come into question here.

I bought the protected relays and the problems instantly went away as fuelpump relay,horn relay,power doorlocks and power windows also door poppers and trubk popper ,ecu relay,starter solenoid and fuel injectors were the issue causing the flyback through a relay block with cheap chinese relays that are unprotected by a schottky diode.

Now I am trying to save people from headaches as well as lives from being lost and I am being banned from forums like some crackpot spreading false news but its the wiring guys that sell these kits getting me banned.This is a fact and my 1st Amendment rights are being violated too. I need a Good civil rights attorney too if anyone knows one..

Attachments

• IMG_20211216_232425.jpg
    IMG_20211216_232425.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot 2021-12-16 180128.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-16 180128.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot 2021-12-17 040835.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-17 040835.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot 2021-12-17 040953.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-17 040953.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot 2021-12-17 200034.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-17 200034.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot 2021-12-18 135941.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-18 135941.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot 2021-12-18 131743.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-18 131743.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 98
Engineering news on Phys.org
Heres the schematic for the relay..They double up on soma and triple up on another circuit and feed 3 with 1 relay and with a subpar 15 amp fuse too.

They say I am the guy whos creating the issues...

What does the experts say about this?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-17 225949.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-17 225949.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 89
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot 2021-12-17 225524.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-17 225524.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot 2021-12-17 225854.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-17 225854.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot 2021-12-17 225949.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-17 225949.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot 2021-12-18 131743.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-18 131743.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 92
What do you expect PF to do about it?

When the relay coil is close to the driver on a PCB, it is easy to place a flyback diode. But when they are far apart, the diode needs to be with the driver where the polarity is known, with a twisted pair to power the remote relay coil.

Likes Averagesupernova and nsaspook
I find this rant a bit on the silly side. If someone in some industry has 'issues' that are causing so many problems in said industry, then come up with a better product. I'm not tell you to go pound sand, just realize that many times problems like these go on for years since not everyone involved is smart enough to realize why the failures are occurring. I have to assume that you are a builder of custom cars/street rods. Since you now realize what is happening, the ball is in your court. Make builds with equipment that doesn't cause the issue. Your reputation as a builder of a quality product will rise.
-
Also realize that many many automotive relays have no flyback protection. The circuit that drives them is taking the task of suppressing the spike generated by the falling field in the relay coil. A flyback diode built into a relay can be a risky thing for the amateur to be messing with since a reversal of polarity will fry the diode and may blow the output device that is driving it. Coming on here explaining about flyback as if it is a new thing is like me coming out with big news about how people get wet if they don't come in out of the rain. If you couldn't tell, I used to work in the automotive electronics industry.

Baluncore said:
What do you expect PF to do about it?
Exactly. This jerk newbie already had his first attempt at this thread start deleted with a similar message, and this repost of a deleted thread earns this newbie a permanent ban from PF. Thread is locked.

1. What are flyback voltage spikes emitted from an unprotected relay?

Flyback voltage spikes, also known as back EMF or kickback voltage, are sudden and brief high voltage pulses that occur when the magnetic field of an inductive load collapses. They are emitted from an unprotected relay when the circuit is suddenly opened, causing a rapid change in current flow.

2. Why are flyback voltage spikes a concern?

Flyback voltage spikes can cause damage to electronic components in a circuit, as they can exceed the maximum voltage rating of the components. They can also create interference in nearby circuits or disrupt the operation of the relay itself.

3. How can flyback voltage spikes be prevented?

Flyback voltage spikes can be prevented by using a protection circuit, such as a flyback diode or a snubber circuit, across the relay. These circuits provide a path for the spike to dissipate, protecting the rest of the circuit.

4. What are the consequences of not protecting a relay from flyback voltage spikes?

If a relay is not protected from flyback voltage spikes, it can lead to damage of electronic components, malfunction of the relay, or interference in nearby circuits. This can result in costly repairs or downtime in the operation of the circuit.

5. Are there any other methods for reducing flyback voltage spikes?

In addition to using protection circuits, flyback voltage spikes can also be reduced by using solid state relays, which have built-in protection against these spikes. Additionally, carefully designed circuit layouts and proper grounding techniques can also help to minimize the effects of flyback voltage spikes.