Is 18 the Ideal Font Size for Webpages?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, I think it's rude to disagree with someone's post without offering a point of view of your own.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Default font size 18.
Font size 9.
Suptext
Subtext
SupSubtext
SupSupSuptext
SupSupSupSuptext
SupSupSupSupSuptext
SupSupSupSupSuptext

Physics news on Phys.org
Did it work?

It drove him crazy, apparently...

It did, but in doing so I discovered I am not crazy. The font size control really does disappear.

DaveC426913 said:
It did, but in doing so I discovered I am not crazy. The font size control really does disappear.
That is a non sequitur.

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913
I did it using BBcode. I don't recall ever seeing a font size control.

Go to his "Crazy" thread to see what is going on... :smile:

iPad, Safari, I cannot make that button appear anywhere. I also don’t know when it went away, it’s not something that I would notice.

Nugatory said:
iPad, Safari, I cannot make that button appear anywhere. I also don’t know when it went away, it’s not something that I would notice.
Does your forum top screen look like this, with an edit box as the first table row?

1671734763732.png

Last edited:
Nugatory said:
I found it. It only appears when I try to make a new thread, not when I reply to one.

Algr said:
I found it. It only appears when I try to make a new thread, not when I reply to one.
Exactly.

DaveC426913 said:
Exactly.
Okay, so the workaround is just to use the Start a New Thread technique to make the text with the font size you want, then copy/paste it into your reply in the original thread. Then delete the extra thread that you had to create.

So what's the problem? :wink:

• Skeptical
Likes DaveC426913
Technically, I'm not actually complaining, I'm really just reporting that I'm pleased as punch that it wasn't just me losing my mind.

Likes berkeman
If you lose your mind, you can have mine. It's not doing me any good.

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu and DaveC426913
Algr said:
If you lose your mind, you can have mine. It's not doing me any good.
Etiquette has a requirement of "don't disagree." This one however presents a real conundrum!

1. What is the significance of font size on webpages?

The font size on webpages is important because it affects the readability and accessibility of the content. A font size that is too small can make it difficult for some people to read, while a font size that is too large can be overwhelming and make it hard to navigate the page.

2. How is the ideal font size for webpages determined?

The ideal font size for webpages is determined by various factors, including the type of content, the target audience, and the device being used to view the webpage. Generally, a font size between 16-18 pixels is recommended for optimal readability.

3. Is 18 the only acceptable font size for webpages?

No, 18 is not the only acceptable font size for webpages. The ideal font size can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. However, 18 is considered a good starting point as it is large enough to be easily readable for most people while not being too overwhelming.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a font size larger than 18 on webpages?

Yes, there can be some disadvantages to using a font size larger than 18 on webpages. While it may make the text more readable for some people, it can also make the webpage look cluttered and unprofessional. Additionally, larger font sizes can also affect the layout and design of the webpage.

5. Can the font size on webpages be adjusted for individual preferences?

Yes, most web browsers allow users to adjust the font size of webpages according to their preferences. This can be helpful for people with visual impairments or those who prefer larger or smaller font sizes. However, it is still important for web designers to choose an appropriate font size for the majority of users.