Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Food Chemist vs. Chemical Engineer- Help!

1. Food Chemist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Chemical Engineer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dec 19, 2014 #1
    First, thank you for taking the time to read this. I need some guidance as I am inventing somewhat of a new edible product. Curious as to if someone can point me in the right direction for the type of chemist I should actually be looking for. At first I was under the impression that it would be a food chemist, but from further research, am thinking it may be more of an engineer to help make this product by combining certain ingredients while it still being edible to consume... I can't give too much info away on exactly what the product is although I know it'd make it easier to find the help but I'm pretty sure you get the idea of the direction I'm going with this.
    Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Actually, no. You're describing a "mind reading" experiment. What you want is a non-disclosure agreement with patent attorneys and consultants/consulting firms.

4. Dec 19, 2014 #3
    Of course a non- disclosure agreement/ patent when working with someone or telling someone about it (which is why I didn't go into it on here) ... but what I'm asking In this thread is guidance on what type of chemist I should be looking to contact to continue the process. Food Chemist vs. Chemical Engineer to help put the ingredients together to make the edible product. If I'm way off here between these two types of professions, what would you suggest?

5. Dec 19, 2014 #4
    And thank you for your reply.

6. Dec 19, 2014 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Chemical engineers are probably better trained for the materials handling aspects. Food chemists? Pardon the pun, but they probably come in many flavors, those who are more focused on nutrition and diet, those who deal with preservation and storage issues, those who work on chemical issues in primary production (agricultural chemistry), and, I would suppose, chem. E's who've moved into food processing.

7. Dec 19, 2014 #6
    I see what you're saying. When you break it down that way, it does sound like a chemical engineer would be more beneficial to me at this point. Your answer helped... and got quite a chuckle at the flavors comment. Very clever haha

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook