For gear teeth to linear shaft, what's the center point?

In summary, the conversation is about the process of creating gears for a 3D printer. The main question is whether the spacing of the gear should be based on the inside, outside, or halfway point between the teeth. The conclusion is that it should be something in between and the pitch on the rack should match the pitch on the gear. The conversation also mentions the use of beveling and provides links to diagrams for reference.
shintashi
I used to know this back when i worked with Flash animation, but I'm working on a 3D printer now and I've forgotten, when you have a set of teeth, on a linear shaft and a gear,

do you base the unrolling of the gear, for the spacing, on the inside of the teeth, the outside of the teeth, or the halfway point between the two?

Like if i have a shaft with 1x1x1 teeth, of Pi length (like 3.14 inches tall)
do I line up the inside of the gear teeth holes, or the outside of the gear teeth, or something in between?

I know i have to bevel the teeth in either case to fit.

I could have sworn I used the average diameter between the teeth inside and outside, but is that how it works in physical reality? It always looked good in simulations.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yeah agreed, when i was doing a 3.5mm tooth, i ended up using 1.75 addendum, 1.75 dedendum, and the radius (the circle between) was somewhere in the two, but larger by 1.75mm i think (I played around with it for a while). This was a design for a mini drill press. :)

1. What is the purpose of having a center point for gear teeth to linear shaft?

The center point is crucial for ensuring proper alignment and smooth operation of the gear teeth and linear shaft. It helps to distribute the load evenly and minimize wear and tear on the gears.

2. How is the center point determined for gear teeth to linear shaft?

The center point is typically determined by the pitch diameter of the gear and the diameter of the linear shaft. It is calculated using mathematical formulas and can also be measured using precision tools.

3. Can the center point be adjusted or changed after installation?

In most cases, the center point cannot be adjusted or changed after installation. Any alterations to the center point can cause misalignment and lead to malfunctioning of the gear system.

4. Is the center point the same for all types of gear teeth and linear shafts?

No, the center point may vary depending on the type and size of the gear teeth and linear shaft. Different gear systems may have different center points for optimal performance.

5. What happens if the center point is not properly aligned?

If the center point is not properly aligned, it can cause the gear teeth to skip, resulting in a loss of power and potential damage to the gear system. It is important to ensure proper alignment of the center point during installation.