Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For Pete's sake, why would you do this?

1. Dec 12, 2003 #1

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For Pete's sake, why would you do this??

2 hour final.

CODING

Coding in assembly language
    Coding using multiple threads
    Coding using A/D conversions on a PC104 board (2 seperate programs)

She actually expected us to do it in 2 hours.

By the time 2:45 hours rolled around, she pulled the plug.

WHY????

*I need a hug*

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2003 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A big kitty hug [​IMG]

She actually pulled the plug??

4. Dec 12, 2003 #3
    Holy crap!!

That sounds hard.
    I have had crazy hard exams like that also. Luckily for me for all my computer courses the marks are curved. So i just have to make sure i do better than than the majority to get a good mark. I hope your marks are curved also.

5. Dec 12, 2003 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Curved marks are crazy.. Just do better than the rest of the class and you get a full mark??

6. Dec 12, 2003 #5

Njorl

Science Advisor

I had a statistical mechanics final that was supposed to be 2 hours. It was 5 problems long. After 2 hours, no one had finished the first problem. Five hours after that, he collected the bluebooks. I was disappointed in my 44. I was happier to find out it was an 'A'. I try to console myself that it was only a small part of my life, but I swear I aged at least 7 years in those 7 hours.

Njorl

7. Dec 12, 2003 #6

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep. She took a survey to see if everyone wanted 35 more minutes, 2 hours and 35 minutes more (filling out an honor pledge because she had to leave), or if we wanted to finish up then.

The "give up now"s won it, so we stopped.

I got even more pissed later on, after everything was done with: It's complete heresay, but apparantly one of the guys in the class, when it became obvious that he didn't have a clue what he was doing and that we were going to finish early, started messing with everyone else.

For several of the problems, we had to remotely log into two QNX machines (similar to Linux, but realtime). In those problems, we needed access to the I/O devices on one of the two, but the memory on that machine was too small to compile there. To use the I/O, you needed to be logged in as the root user.

So the plan was: design the code where you're sitting, ftp the code to the desktop QNX to compile, compile, ftp the program back to your seat, ftp the program to the small microprocessor, switch user to root, run the code, ftp your results back to your seat to process.

What this jerkoff was apparantly doing was killing people's ftp processes, executable processes, and compile processes as they were coming up, since he had root access.

I wish I could prove he was doing it (or if I was around when he said that's what he was doing)... :grr:

8. Dec 12, 2003 #7

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What was the objective of the test/exam?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?