Force & Torque Homework: 10kg Plank on Wall/Floor

In summary, a 10 kg plank leaning against a frictionless wall and floor at a 60 degree angle with the horizontal has a horizontal rope connecting its center of mass with the wall. Using dynamics, the normal force between the floor and the plank can be found to be 98 N. To find the normal force between the wall and the plank, torque equations can be used to determine a value of -56.6 N. However, using the point where the plank rests on the ground as the point of rotation, a torque due to tension and one due to gravity act in the negative direction, both of which are negated by a normal force imposed upon the plank by the wall in the clockwise direction. To find the tension in the rope
veronicak5678

Homework Statement

A 10 kg plank leans against a frictionless wall and floor at an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal. A horizontal rope connects the center of mass of this uniform plank with the wall.
a- Use dynamics to find the normal force between the floor and the plank.
b- Find the normal force between the wall and the plank.
c- Determine the tension in the rope.
d- Show the net torque is zero when the pivot is located where the plank meets the wall.

Homework Equations

torque = Fsin(phi) radius

The Attempt at a Solution

a- normal floor = weight = 10kg (9.8) = 98 N
b- Using torque, I end up with -56.6.

-torque of normal floor + torque of normal wall = 0
98 N (sin 210) length/2 = normal wall (sin 120) length /2

normal wall = -56.6
What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
veronicak5678 said:

Homework Statement

A 10 kg plank leans against a frictionless wall and floor at an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal. A horizontal rope connects the center of mass of this uniform plank with the wall.
a- Use dynamics to find the normal force between the floor and the plank.
b- Find the normal force between the wall and the plank.
c- Determine the tension in the rope.
d- Show the net torque is zero when the pivot is located where the plank meets the wall.

Homework Equations

torque = Fsin(phi) radius

The Attempt at a Solution

a- normal floor = weight = 10kg (9.8) = 98 N
b- Using torque, I end up with -56.6.

-torque of normal floor + torque of normal wall = 0
98 N (sin 210) length/2 = normal wall (sin 120) length /2

normal wall = -56.6
What am I doing wrong?

Using the point where the plank rests on the ground as the point of rotation, a torque due to tension and one due to gravity act in the negative direction, both of which are negated by a normal force imposed upon the plank by the wall in the clockwise direction. Does this help?

If I use that as the rotation spot, I don't think I will have enough info to solve. I don't know the tension force or the length of the plank. I was using the center as the pivot to avoid lookig at tension and weight.

I tried using that spot and this is what i came up with:

torque tension + torque weight - torque normal floor = 0
56.6 N * sin 240 * length/2 + 98 N * sin 150 * length/2 - 98 N * sin 210 * length = 0

But this equation leaves me with 49N * length, not 0.

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects, resulting in a change in the motion or shape of an object. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol "F".

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is a vector quantity and is measured in Newton-meters (N-m). It is represented by the symbol "τ".

How do you calculate force?

Force can be calculated using the formula F = m*a, where m is the mass of the object and a is the acceleration. In other words, force is equal to the product of mass and acceleration.

How do you calculate torque?

Torque can be calculated using the formula τ = F*r*sin(θ), where F is the force applied, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and θ is the angle between the force and the lever arm. In other words, torque is equal to the product of force, distance, and the sine of the angle between them.

How does the weight of an object affect the force and torque?

The weight of an object affects the force and torque in different ways. The weight, which is the force of gravity acting on an object, is a component of the total force applied. It also affects the torque by increasing the lever arm, which is the distance from the point of rotation to the center of mass of the object. This means that a heavier object will require a larger force and produce a larger torque to achieve the same amount of rotation as a lighter object.