1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and Torque

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 10 kg plank leans against a frictionless wall and floor at an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal. A horizontal rope connects the center of mass of this uniform plank with the wall.
    a- Use dynamics to find the normal force between the floor and the plank.
    b- Find the normal force between the wall and the plank.
    c- Determine the tension in the rope.
    d- Show the net torque is zero when the pivot is located where the plank meets the wall.

2. Relevant equations

torque = Fsin(phi) radius

3. The attempt at a solution
    a- normal floor = weight = 10kg (9.8) = 98 N
    b- Using torque, I end up with -56.6.

-torque of normal floor + torque of normal wall = 0
    98 N (sin 210) length/2 = normal wall (sin 120) length /2

normal wall = -56.6
    What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2
    Using the point where the plank rests on the ground as the point of rotation, a torque due to tension and one due to gravity act in the negative direction, both of which are negated by a normal force imposed upon the plank by the wall in the clockwise direction. Does this help?
  4. Nov 10, 2008 #3
    If I use that as the rotation spot, I don't think I will have enough info to solve. I don't know the tension force or the length of the plank. I was using the center as the pivot to avoid lookig at tension and weight.
  5. Nov 10, 2008 #4
    I tried using that spot and this is what i came up with:

torque tension + torque weight - torque normal floor = 0
    56.6 N * sin 240 * length/2 + 98 N * sin 150 * length/2 - 98 N * sin 210 * length = 0

But this equation leaves me with 49N * length, not 0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?