Force at Equilibrium: How to Solve X and Y Components of Tension

In summary, the conversation discusses the balance of tension in a system of ropes and the steps needed to solve for unknown forces. The person initially believes that the weight of F3 can be used to calculate the weight of Fw1, but is corrected by the answer. The conversation ends with a question about adding vertical components to determine the weight of Fw1.
GOPgabe

Homework Statement

I have an actual image which is quite better than my poor descriptive skills

PhysProblem.png

Homework Equations

The X and Y components of each tension must balance.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought if F3 weighs 200N then that mean the X component of Fw1 must equal
Fw1 tan(35)=200. Clearly I was wrong based on the answer. How would I proceed from here? Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
At the point where the three ropes meet, the sum of all the horizontal forces is zero and the sum of all the vertical forces is zero. This gives you two equations and you have two unknowns.

kuruman said:
At the point where the three ropes meet, the sum of all the horizontal forces is zero and the sum of all the vertical forces is zero. This gives you two equations and you have two unknowns.

I think I got it now, just one question. Are you supposed to add the vertical components of both of the systems in order to get the weight of Fw1?

GOPgabe said:
I think I got it now, just one question. Are you supposed to add the vertical components of both of the systems in order to get the weight of Fw1?
I am not sure what you mean by "both systems". Your system in this case is the knot where all three ropes are tied together. There are three forces acting on it, and the sum of these forces is zero.

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems like these with a systematic and analytical mindset. Let's break down the problem into smaller parts and use the given information to determine the X and Y components of tension.

First, let's identify all the forces acting on the system. We have three forces: F1, F2, and F3. F1 is pointing upwards at a 35 degree angle, F2 is pointing downwards at a 50 degree angle, and F3 is pointing downwards vertically.

Next, let's draw a free-body diagram to visualize the forces and their directions. Label the X and Y components for each force, using trigonometry to determine their magnitudes.

Now, we know that the system is at equilibrium, which means that the net force in the X and Y directions must be equal to zero. This gives us two equations: ΣFx = 0 and ΣFy = 0. We can use these equations to solve for the unknown X and Y components of tension.

For the X direction, we have:

ΣFx = F1x + F2x = 0

F1x = -F2x

F1x = -F2cos(50)

F1x = -F2(0.6428)

F1x = -0.6428F2

Similarly, for the Y direction, we have:

ΣFy = F1y + F2y - F3 = 0

F1y + F2y = F3

F1y + F2sin(50) = F3

F1y = F3 - F2sin(50)

F1y = F3 - F2(0.7660)

F1y = F3 - 0.7660F2

Now, we can use the given information that F3 = 200N to solve for the X and Y components of tension. Substituting this value into our equations, we get:

F1x = -0.6428F2

F1y = 200 - 0.7660F2

We can now solve for F2 by setting these two equations equal to each other:

-0.6428F2 = 200 - 0.7660F2

0.1232F2 = 200

F2 = 200/0.1232

F2 = 162

1. What is force at equilibrium?

Force at equilibrium refers to the state in which the net force acting on an object is equal to zero, resulting in a balanced system. In this state, the object will remain at rest or move at a constant velocity.

2. How do you calculate the X and Y components of tension?

To calculate the X and Y components of tension, you will need to use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The X and Y components can be determined by breaking down the tension vector into its horizontal and vertical components using these trigonometric functions.

3. Can you explain the concept of tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled by an external force. It is a reactive force that opposes the pulling force and keeps the object in equilibrium. Tension is always directed along the length of the string or rope and is equal in magnitude to the pulling force.

4. What factors affect the tension in a system?

The tension in a system can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the external forces, the mass of the object, and the angle at which the external forces act. Additionally, the type and strength of the material used to transmit the tension can also impact the overall tension in the system.

5. How can force at equilibrium be applied in real-life situations?

Force at equilibrium is a fundamental concept in physics that can be applied in various real-life situations. For example, it is used in structural engineering to ensure the stability and safety of buildings and bridges. It is also used in the design of mechanical systems and machines to ensure they function properly without any imbalances.