1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Force at equilibrium

1. Jul 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have an actual image which is quite better than my poor descriptive skills

PhysProblem.png

2. Relevant equations
    The X and Y components of each tension must balance.

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought if F3 weighs 200N then that mean the X component of Fw1 must equal
    Fw1 tan(35)=200. Clearly I was wrong based on the answer. How would I proceed from here? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At the point where the three ropes meet, the sum of all the horizontal forces is zero and the sum of all the vertical forces is zero. This gives you two equations and you have two unknowns.

4. Jul 25, 2010 #3
    I think I got it now, just one question. Are you supposed to add the vertical components of both of the systems in order to get the weight of Fw1?

5. Jul 25, 2010 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure what you mean by "both systems". Your system in this case is the knot where all three ropes are tied together. There are three forces acting on it, and the sum of these forces is zero.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook