Force btwn an electromagnet and a permenant magnet

In summary, the person is currently working on a magnet generator/motor and has questions about electromagnetism. They are specifically trying to find out how much force their electromagnet (ferrite core) will need to repel a cylindrical NdFeB permanent magnet. They have researched online and in libraries but have not found any equations that involve an electromagnet and a permanent magnet. They are seeking advice and corrections, and are considering using simulation software to help with their design. They also mention that the current can be fixed, so they are primarily interested in finding out the number of turns needed for the electromagnet.
ajax21
hi all, i am currently working on a magnet generator/motor and i have some qns on electromagnetism.

i am currently trying to find out how much does my electromagnet (ferrite core) requires in order to repel a permenant magnet, in this case, a cylindrical NdFeB magnet.

i have been trying to find out from the web and libraries regarding the force between the magnets and the closest i have come to is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet#Force_between_two_magnetic_poles

there r so many other equations but none of them involves an electromagnet and a permanent magnet. so i would like to ask for advice and correction. thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am currently trying to find out how much does my electromagnet (ferrite core) requires in order to repel a permanent magnet, in this case, a cylindrical NdFeB magnet.

How much what? Are you asking how much current you'll need to get x amount of force at a distance d?

This is a complicated subject. Maybe someone with more electromechanical experience can point you to an analysis but I really think it's best if you just take measurements of the force and make some graphs of force vs. distance for different currents.

There are other options. I was looking at http://www.integratedsoft.com/default.aspx" a while ago. They have a 30 day free trial. I never downloaded it so I don't know much about it but I bet it could simulate your design.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okefenokee said:
How much what? Are you asking how much current you'll need to get x amount of force at a distance d?

This is a complicated subject. Maybe someone with more electromechanical experience can point you to an analysis but I really think it's best if you just take measurements of the force and make some graphs of force vs. distance for different currents.

There are other options. I was looking at http://www.integratedsoft.com/default.aspx" a while ago. They have a 30 day free trial. I never downloaded it so I don't know much about it but I bet it could simulate your design.

Thanks Okefenokee for the reply. I am trying to find out how much force does the electromagnet requires to repel the magnet away instead of attracting it. From the force, I would then like to find out the number of turns needed.

The current can be fixed within the current capacity of the copper wire of the coil, so its the number of turns that matters. Anyone can help pls?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet?

The force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet is the result of the interaction between their magnetic fields. The strength of this force depends on the strength of the magnets' magnetic fields and the distance between them.

2. How does the strength of the magnets' magnetic fields affect the force?

The force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet is directly proportional to the strength of their magnetic fields. The stronger the magnetic fields, the greater the force between them.

3. What factors can affect the distance at which the force between the magnets is strongest?

The distance at which the force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet is strongest depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnets' magnetic fields, the size and shape of the magnets, and any intervening materials between them.

4. Can the force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet be turned on and off?

Yes, the force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet can be turned on and off by controlling the current flowing through the electromagnet. When the current is turned off, the electromagnet's magnetic field disappears, and the force between the magnets decreases.

5. What are some real-world applications of the force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet?

The force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in magnetic levitation systems, where the force between magnets is used to suspend an object in mid-air.