No Net Force from Earth & Moon Gravity at 90% d

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a satellite located between the Earth and the Moon at a distance of 90% of the total distance between them. It is shown that at this distance, the satellite experiences no net force when considering only the gravitational forces of the Earth and the Moon. A diagram is also suggested to better understand the forces acting on the satellite. The conversation also mentions the equation for the force of gravity and discusses the concept of a fixed distance between two bodies.
JorgeLuis
Given that the distance between the Earth and the Moon is d = 3.84 x 10^8 m, show
that a satellite located exactly in-between the Earth and the Moon at a distance of
90% d from the Earth experiences no net force (at least when only the
gravitational force due to the Earth and the Moon at taken into account). Draw a
diagram showing the forces acting on the satellite.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

And your attempt at the solution would be?

i don't even know what to do it, there was another 2 question about it which i got but i don't get this and the drawing..Help Please!

JorgeLuis said:
i don't even know what to do it, there was another 2 question about it which i got but i don't get this and the drawing..Help Please!

What's the equation for the force of gravity?

If there is a fixed distance between two bodies, isn't a distance to 1 from a point in between = to the fixed distance - the distance to the other?

Related to No Net Force from Earth & Moon Gravity at 90% d

1. How is it possible for there to be no net force from Earth and Moon gravity at 90% distance?

At 90% distance, the gravitational forces from both the Earth and Moon are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. This results in a net force of zero, meaning that objects at this distance will experience no acceleration due to the combined gravitational pull of the Earth and Moon.

2. What is the significance of 90% distance in terms of gravity from the Earth and Moon?

90% distance is the point where the gravitational forces from the Earth and Moon cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero. This means that objects at this distance will experience weightlessness and will not be pulled towards either the Earth or the Moon.

3. Can there be a point where there is no net force from Earth and Moon gravity?

Yes, at a distance of exactly 90%, the gravitational forces from the Earth and Moon will cancel each other out completely, resulting in a net force of zero. However, at other distances, there will always be a net force from the combined gravity of the Earth and Moon.

4. How does the distance between the Earth and Moon affect the strength of the gravitational force?

According to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, the strength of the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the Earth and Moon increases, the gravitational force between them decreases.

5. What other factors besides distance can affect the net force from Earth and Moon gravity?

The mass of the Earth and Moon are the main factors that affect the strength of the gravitational force between them. The closer the objects are in mass, the stronger the gravitational force will be. Additionally, the presence of other celestial bodies in the vicinity can also affect the net force from Earth and Moon gravity due to their gravitational pull.