Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Force exerted by a laser beam

1. Jul 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A laser beam ([tex]\mathrm{Power} = 1\ \mathrm{W})[/tex] is completely reflected by a mirror perpendicular to the beam. Light is made of photons, and each photon carries an energy [tex]E = h\nu[/tex] and a momentum [tex]P = h/\lambda[/tex], where [tex]\nu[/tex] is the frequency, [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the wavelength and [tex]h[/tex] is Planck's constant. Find the force with which light pushes the mirror.

2. Relevant equations
    Apart from those already present in the problem statement, I have:
    [tex]\lambda \nu = c[/tex]

[tex]F = \frac{dp}{dt}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Each second, the light source emits [tex]n[/tex] photons, each one carries an energy [tex]E = h\nu = hc/\lambda[/tex], for a total power of [tex]1\ \mathrm{W}[/tex]. This gives:

[tex]\displaystyle n = \frac P E = \frac{\lambda}{hc}[/tex]

In one second then, [tex]n[/tex] photons hit the mirror and bounce back, which gives:

[tex]\displaystyle F = \frac{dp}{dt} = n \cdot 2p = 2 \frac{\lambda}{hc}\cdot \frac{h}{\lambda} = \frac 2 c \approx 6.67\cdot 10^{-9}\ \mathrm{N}[/tex]

The result is somewhat intuitively pleasing, can you check it is correct, please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good to me.

4. Jul 27, 2007 #3
    Whew... Thank you Doc for checking :)

5. Feb 21, 2009 #4
    Sorry to dig up such an old question, but after looking at this question, I don't understand were the 2 comes from in the F=n2p. Could someone explain this to me?
    Thanks

6. Feb 21, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The momentum is twice the incoming photon's because it bounces back
    Think of a ball, if you throw it to hit a wall and stop then you need twice as much force for it to hit the wall and come back at the same speed.

7. Feb 21, 2009 #6
    That is to say, if it was not a mirror, and the light did not reflect off the surface, the 2 would be a 1 instead?

8. Feb 21, 2009 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It comes from the fact that the change in momentum is twice the original momentum.

9. Feb 21, 2009 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. If the light is absorbed then it's a 1. As Doc Al said, it's all about change in momentum.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook