1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force exerted by a laser beam

1. Jul 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A laser beam ([tex]\mathrm{Power} = 1\ \mathrm{W})[/tex] is completely reflected by a mirror perpendicular to the beam. Light is made of photons, and each photon carries an energy [tex]E = h\nu[/tex] and a momentum [tex]P = h/\lambda[/tex], where [tex]\nu[/tex] is the frequency, [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the wavelength and [tex]h[/tex] is Planck's constant. Find the force with which light pushes the mirror.

2. Relevant equations
    Apart from those already present in the problem statement, I have:
    [tex]\lambda \nu = c[/tex]

[tex]F = \frac{dp}{dt}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Each second, the light source emits [tex]n[/tex] photons, each one carries an energy [tex]E = h\nu = hc/\lambda[/tex], for a total power of [tex]1\ \mathrm{W}[/tex]. This gives:

[tex]\displaystyle n = \frac P E = \frac{\lambda}{hc}[/tex]

In one second then, [tex]n[/tex] photons hit the mirror and bounce back, which gives:

[tex]\displaystyle F = \frac{dp}{dt} = n \cdot 2p = 2 \frac{\lambda}{hc}\cdot \frac{h}{\lambda} = \frac 2 c \approx 6.67\cdot 10^{-9}\ \mathrm{N}[/tex]

The result is somewhat intuitively pleasing, can you check it is correct, please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good to me.
  4. Jul 27, 2007 #3
    Whew... Thank you Doc for checking :)
  5. Feb 21, 2009 #4
    Sorry to dig up such an old question, but after looking at this question, I don't understand were the 2 comes from in the F=n2p. Could someone explain this to me?
  6. Feb 21, 2009 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The momentum is twice the incoming photon's because it bounces back
    Think of a ball, if you throw it to hit a wall and stop then you need twice as much force for it to hit the wall and come back at the same speed.
  7. Feb 21, 2009 #6
    That is to say, if it was not a mirror, and the light did not reflect off the surface, the 2 would be a 1 instead?
  8. Feb 21, 2009 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It comes from the fact that the change in momentum is twice the original momentum.
  9. Feb 21, 2009 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. If the light is absorbed then it's a 1. As Doc Al said, it's all about change in momentum.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?