1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force Exerted By a liquid integration problem

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rectangular swimming pool is 20 feet wide and 40 feet long. The depth of the water varie uniformly from 3 feet at one end to 9 feet at the other end. Find the total force exerted at the bottom of the pool.

2. Relevant equations

The force F exerted by a liquid of constant density "p", where the functions f and g are continuous on [c,d], is
    \begin{equation}
    F=\int_c^d \, p(k-y)[f(y)-g(y)]dy
    \end{equation}
    The equation of the line making up the bottom of the pool is
    \begin{equation}
    \frac{-3}{10}x+6=y
    \end{equation}

3. The attempt at a solution
    The depth of any rectangle below the surface would be (9-y), I reasoned.
    I tried to do the integration
    \begin{equation}
    \begin{split}
    F&=62.5\int_0^6 (9-y)(\frac{10(y-6)}{-3})dy\\
    &=26250\\
    \end{split}
    \end{equation}
    The book says this answer is wrong, as I suspected. I can't seem to find a way to think of it. Ways I've tried:
    Finding the volume of water above the wedge caused by the incline + the wedge volume * 62.5

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2012 #2
    You don't really need calculus for this problem. The total force is just the volume of the pool times the density of water. Notice that a cross section of the pool is a trapezoid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook