Force exerted by one disc on the other in a capacitor?

In summary, the force between the two charged plates is half as strong as the field due to a single charged plate.
mot

Homework Statement

Two circular disks, each of area 4.10×10-4 m2, are situated parallel to one another. The distance between them is small compared with their radii. Both disks are uniformly charged; their charges per unit area are σ = 5.00×10-5 C/m2 for one and -σ = -5.00×10-5 C/m2 for the other. Compute the force exerted by one on the other.

Homework Equations

E=σ/ε
F=qE

The Attempt at a Solution

E=σ/ε=5.00×10-5 C/m2/8.85x10-12
=5.649717514x106N/C
Charge on one plate = σ*Area=5.00×10-5 C/m2*4.10×10-4 m2=2.05x108C
F=qE=2.05x108C*5.649717514x106N/C
=0.1158N

I have tried both the positive and negative version of this answer, both are wrong. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here...the distance between the plates isn't given, so I can't use coulomb's law (but they're not point charges anyways)
Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
mot said:

Homework Statement

Two circular disks, each of area 4.10×10-4 m2, are situated parallel to one another. The distance between them is small compared with their radii. Both disks are uniformly charged; their charges per unit area are σ = 5.00×10-5 C/m2 for one and -σ = -5.00×10-5 C/m2 for the other. Compute the force exerted by one on the other.

Homework Equations

E=σ/ε
F=qE

The Attempt at a Solution

E=σ/ε=5.00×10-5 C/m2/8.85x10-12
=5.649717514x106N/C
=0.1158N

I have tried both the positive and negative version of this answer, both are wrong. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here...the distance between the plates isn't given, so I can't use coulomb's law (but they're not point charges anyways)
Help?

While the net field between the plates is the sum of the fields created by the charges on both of the plates, the force acting on one plate is due only to the field created by the other plate. That is, the field created by a given plate does not create a force on itself.

So. The field strength to use is that due to a single plate. That field will act on the charge on the other plate.

mot said:
Sign error in exponent, but looks like this was just an error in copying out.
=0.1158N
That's what I get.
the distance between the plates isn't given,
When two charged plates are very close, the field is essentially perpendicular to the plates. This means there is no attenuation with distance: the field is the same everywhere between the plates. The exact distance ceases to matter
gneill said:
The field strength to use is that due to a single plate.
Right, but the question asks for the force, not the field. The product of the charges will enter into it.

haruspex said:
Right, but the question asks for the force, not the field. The product of the charges will enter into it.

Yes, but the field due to one plate is due to the charge on that plate. So that charge is accounted for. Then F = Eq is the force on the other plate. The OP used the intermediate step of calculating E, so I did likewise.

Of course one can replace E by the expression involving the charge on a plate. Then product of the two charges emerges.

gneill said:
While the net field between the plates is the sum of the fields created by the charges on both of the plates, the force acting on one plate is due only to the field created by the other plate. That is, the field created by a given plate does not create a force on itself.

Mulled this over for a little while...got it! The field strength due to one plate is half as strong as the one calculated, and then I just used F=qE as normal to get my answer.
Thanks!

What is the force exerted by one disc on the other in a capacitor?

The force exerted by one disc on the other in a capacitor is known as the electrostatic force. This force is caused by the electric charges on the discs and is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How do you calculate the force between two charged discs in a capacitor?

The force between two charged discs in a capacitor can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is equal to the product of the charges divided by the square of the distance between them. The force is also affected by the dielectric constant of the material between the discs.

Can the force between two charged discs in a capacitor be repulsive?

Yes, the force between two charged discs in a capacitor can be either attractive or repulsive. This depends on the sign of the charges on the discs. Like charges (both positive or both negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (one positive and one negative) will attract each other.

What is the direction of the force between two charged discs in a capacitor?

The direction of the force between two charged discs in a capacitor is along the line connecting the two discs. If the charges on the discs are the same, the force will be repulsive and will push the discs away from each other. If the charges are opposite, the force will be attractive and will pull the discs towards each other.

How does the force between two charged discs in a capacitor change with distance?

The force between two charged discs in a capacitor follows an inverse-square law, which means that as the distance between the discs increases, the force decreases. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of capacitors and their ability to store and release electrical energy.