Force in a magnetic field. Need help using the equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of force per meter of length on a straight wire carrying a 6.70-A current when perpendicular to a 0.89-T uniform magnetic field. The equation F=IlBsin\theta is used, with the value of 5.9N/m obtained for part A when sin90 is used. For part B, the correct answer of 5.07 N/m can be obtained by using sin(pi/4) as the argument instead of sin45. It is suggested that the calculator may have been set to radians instead of degrees, leading to the incorrect answer.
crh

Homework Statement

What is the magnitude of the force per meter of length on a straight wire carrying a 6.70-A current when perpendicular to a 0.89-T uniform magnetic field?

What if the angle between the wire and field is 45.0°?

I know how to do the whole thing, I just can't get my answer right. I don't know if I am working the equation out right.

Homework Equations

F=IlBsin[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equation. For part A I know that I use it for 90 degrees at 1m

F=(6.70A)(0.89T)sin90=5.9N/m

Part B is the one I can't get the answer to.

F=(6.07A)(0.89T)sin45

**I haven't had a trig class or a physics class for about 7 years so I don't remember how to exactly use sin. For Part A I got the correct answer because I just didn't use the sin. I just took the (6.70A*0.89T). Can someone explain how to use sin or how to get the right answer. I got 5.07 N/m but that is not correct.

Thanks in advance to everyone that helps.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you had your calculator set to radians instead of degrees.

1 degree = pi/180 radians so 45 degrees= 45pi/180 =pi/4 radians

Try using that as your argument for sin.

The equation you are using is correct, but the issue may be with the use of sine. In this case, sine represents the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. When the angle is 90 degrees, sine is equal to 1, which is why you got the correct answer for part A. However, when the angle is 45 degrees, sine is equal to √2/2, which is approximately 0.707. This means that the force will be smaller than the force at 90 degrees.

To solve for the force in part B, you can use the following equation:

F = (6.70 A)(0.89 T)sin(45°) = (6.70 A)(0.89 T)(0.707) = 4.74 N/m

Remember to always convert the angle to radians when using the sine function. In this case, 45 degrees is equivalent to π/4 radians.

I hope this helps in getting the correct answer. Just make sure to always check your units and use the correct formula. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is the equation for force in a magnetic field?

The equation for force in a magnetic field is F = qvBsinθ, where F is the force (in Newtons), q is the charge of the particle (in Coulombs), v is the velocity of the particle (in meters per second), B is the strength of the magnetic field (in Tesla), and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

2. How do I use the equation for force in a magnetic field?

To use the equation, you need to know the values of q, v, B, and θ for the particle in the magnetic field. Once you have these values, plug them into the equation and solve for the force. Make sure to use the correct units for each variable.

3. What is the direction of the force in a magnetic field?

The direction of the force in a magnetic field is perpendicular to both the velocity of the particle and the magnetic field itself. This means that the force will act in a direction that is perpendicular to the plane formed by the velocity and the magnetic field.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the force?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the force. The stronger the magnetic field, the greater the force on the particle will be. This is because a stronger magnetic field will exert a greater force on the moving charged particle.

5. What happens if the angle between the velocity and magnetic field is 0 or 180 degrees?

If the angle between the velocity and magnetic field is 0 degrees, the force on the particle will be 0. This is because the sinθ term in the equation will be 0. If the angle is 180 degrees, the force on the particle will also be 0, as sinθ will be -1. In both cases, the force will be acting parallel or anti-parallel to the velocity, resulting in no net force in the perpendicular direction.