1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic force between two halves of sphere

1. Nov 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the electrostatic force of interaction between two halves of a spherical conductor of radius R carrying a charge Q.
    This thread already exists- https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/electric-force-between-two-halves-of-a-sphere.317380/ but is closed.

2. Relevant equations
    Electrostatic pressure:
    dF/dA = σ2/2ε0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand how to do it using the method outlined in the above mentioned thread, but I want to do it using the argument stated in the last post of the thread, the one that mentions this at the very end: "By the way, I think the "supposed way" to do this Griffith problem is to use the formula for surface pressure of a conductor earlier in the chapter and add up the integrate z-component of the force on the base and the side of a hemisphere. Be ware, you need to make a correct physical argument about the direction of the pressure/force."

So, to solve it, I tried splitting up the northern hemisphere as elementary rings. Basically, here's what I'm trying to do:
    Take an elementary area dA containing a charge dq on an elementary ring of radius r. The force acting on dq is
    dF = ( σ2 dA ) / 2ε0
    Now comes my problem-
    I'm not sure what the net force on the ring should be, should it be ∫dFsinθ or ∫dFcosθ, i.e. should I take the vertical components or the horizontal components?
    So, I tried using both and got the right answer using ∫dFsinθ
    Here's what I did:
    The net force on the ring is
    F (ring) = ∫dFsinθ = ∫( σ2 2πRcosθRdθ sinθ) / 2ε0
    and F(hemisphere) = ∫F(ring)
    Integrating from 0 to π/2 I get Q2 / 32πεR , which is correct.
    But I still don't get why I'm choosing ∫dFsinθ over ∫dFcosθ.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2015 #2
    Because you are measuring angle θ from the vertical .(Assuming you are trying to find force on the right hemisphere)

If you measure θ from the horizontal you need to have ∫dFcosθ . Both ways you end up with the same answer .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted