Electrostatic force between two halves of sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electrostatic force of interaction between two halves of a spherical conductor with a given charge and radius. The thread referenced provides a method for solving the problem, but the speaker wants to use a different argument mentioned in the last post. They attempt to split the hemisphere into elementary rings, but are unsure whether to take the vertical or horizontal components of the force. Ultimately, they use the vertical component and arrive at the correct answer, but are still unsure of the reasoning behind this choice.
erisedk

Homework Statement

Find the electrostatic force of interaction between two halves of a spherical conductor of radius R carrying a charge Q.
This thread already exists- https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/electric-force-between-two-halves-of-a-sphere.317380/ but is closed.

Homework Equations

Electrostatic pressure:
dF/dA = σ2/2ε0

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to do it using the method outlined in the above mentioned thread, but I want to do it using the argument stated in the last post of the thread, the one that mentions this at the very end: "By the way, I think the "supposed way" to do this Griffith problem is to use the formula for surface pressure of a conductor earlier in the chapter and add up the integrate z-component of the force on the base and the side of a hemisphere. Be ware, you need to make a correct physical argument about the direction of the pressure/force."

So, to solve it, I tried splitting up the northern hemisphere as elementary rings. Basically, here's what I'm trying to do:
Take an elementary area dA containing a charge dq on an elementary ring of radius r. The force acting on dq is
dF = ( σ2 dA ) / 2ε0
Now comes my problem-
I'm not sure what the net force on the ring should be, should it be ∫dFsinθ or ∫dFcosθ, i.e. should I take the vertical components or the horizontal components?
So, I tried using both and got the right answer using ∫dFsinθ
Here's what I did:
The net force on the ring is
F (ring) = ∫dFsinθ = ∫( σ2 2πRcosθRdθ sinθ) / 2ε0
and F(hemisphere) = ∫F(ring)
Integrating from 0 to π/2 I get Q2 / 32πεR , which is correct.
But I still don't get why I'm choosing ∫dFsinθ over ∫dFcosθ.

Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:
But I still don't get why I'm choosing ∫dFsinθ over ∫dFcosθ.

Because you are measuring angle θ from the vertical .(Assuming you are trying to find force on the right hemisphere)

If you measure θ from the horizontal you need to have ∫dFcosθ . Both ways you end up with the same answer .

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is the force that exists between two electrically charged particles or objects. It can be attractive or repulsive, depending on the types of charges involved.

2. What is the formula for calculating electrostatic force?

The formula for calculating electrostatic force is F = k(q1*q2)/r^2, where F is the electrostatic force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. How does the electrostatic force between two halves of a sphere vary with distance?

The electrostatic force between two halves of a sphere varies inversely with the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the two halves of the sphere increases, the electrostatic force decreases.

4. Can the electrostatic force between two halves of a sphere be negative?

Yes, the electrostatic force between two halves of a sphere can be negative if the charges on the two halves are of opposite sign. This means that the force would be attractive instead of repulsive.

5. How does the size and charge of the two halves of the sphere affect the electrostatic force?

The size and charge of the two halves of the sphere directly affect the electrostatic force between them. The larger the size or charge of the two halves, the stronger the electrostatic force will be. Additionally, if the charges on the two halves are of the same sign, the force will be repulsive, while if they are of opposite sign, the force will be attractive.