Force of impact during collisions

In summary: A more precise statement of Newton's Third Law might be something like:If an object A exerts a force on an object B, then B exerts a force on A that is in the same direction and of equal magnitude as the original force A exerted on B.
smiling_bug44
hi, i was just wondering...

if a heavy truck collides with a lighter vehicle, and both are traveling at the SAME speed, would the force of impact be:

the SAME for both vehicles,
greater on the lighter car, or
would the vehicles experience no force at all?

thank you in advance for your help!*edit*
hi cepheid... sorry but I'm new at the whole physics forum thing...

But i have already narrowed the answers to the question down to those three choices (though I doubt option three is the answer!)... and think that the answer could be option two... because the lighter vehicle has less mass.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far? We won't do your homework for you (*because that won't help you at all*), but if you show us your work and point out where you're stuck, we can certainly point you in the right direction.

That's why it's great idea, and required (in the future) to use the template for posting homework problems. You've done part (a), which is to give a complete statement of the problem. What about part (b)? What equations or physical principles are relevant to this problem? And part (c), which is, what have you done so far?

Hint 1: what physical law applies to contact forces between bodies?
Hint 2: Even if you don't immediately know the right answer, can you at least use your knowledge of physics to *eliminate* any of the answer choices?

cepheid said:
What have you done so far? We won't do your homework for you (*because that won't help you at all*), but if you show us your work and point out where you're stuck, we can certainly point you in the right direction.

That's why it's great idea, and required (in the future) to use the template for posting homework problems. You've done part (a), which is to give a complete statement of the problem. What about part (b)? What equations or physical principles are relevant to this problem? And part (c), which is, what have you done so far?

Hint 1: what physical law applies to contact forces between bodies?
Hint 2: Even if you don't immediately know the right answer, can you at least use your knowledge of physics to *eliminate* any of the answer choices?

> Hi, sorry about that, this is my first time using the physics forum...

Well, I know that Newton's third law would apply to this problem... which is that for every action, there is an equal reaction in the opposite direction. Now the part that I am stuck with is deciding if it's the first or second choice...

I think it COULD also be that the impact forces are the same for both vehicles, since they are traveling at the same speed... and upon collision, a force in the opposite direction of equal magnitude will act on the vehicles (the impact force). Perhaps the lighter vehicle's mass would cause it to accelerate in the opposite direction. =S

A more precise statement of Newton's Third Law might be something like:

If an object A exerts a force on an object B, then B exerts a force on A that is is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

Does that help? Phrasing it in terms of "action" and "reaction" is imprecise and misleading, and causes a lot of conceptual/interpretation problems for people encountering this law for the first time.

1. What is force of impact during collisions?

Force of impact during collisions is the measurement of the amount of force that is exerted on an object when it collides with another object. It is a result of the acceleration of the object due to the impact.

2. How is force of impact calculated?

Force of impact is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its acceleration. This is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion, F=ma.

3. What factors affect the force of impact during collisions?

The force of impact during collisions can be affected by various factors such as the mass and velocity of the objects involved, the angle of collision, and the nature of the surfaces in contact.

4. How does the force of impact affect the outcome of a collision?

The force of impact can determine the severity of damage or injury caused by a collision. The greater the force of impact, the more damage or injury is likely to occur.

5. How can the force of impact during collisions be reduced?

The force of impact during collisions can be reduced by increasing the time of impact, for example by using safety features such as airbags or crumple zones in vehicles. It can also be reduced by decreasing the velocity of the objects involved in the collision.