Force of impact for human falling different heights

In summary: And in summary, it is important to consider the velocity of the head in a fall, as it directly affects the energy and impact on the head. In the scenario described, the head would have a significantly greater velocity and therefore impact on an incline compared to a flat surface, due to the added height and distance traveled. This is an important factor to consider in terms of potential injury in a fall on an incline, such as in a sport's stadium.
brettsyoung

Homework Statement

I am trying to prove a human head hitting the ground after falling backwards down a hill suffers a significantly greater impact than one hitting the ground on a flat surface. The person is 95KG, 180cm tall, and the impact point of the head was 60cm below (in altitude) the point where the feet were placed at the time of falling.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately I have no physics background and have no idea where to start. This is one element of a broader forensic brief I would like to put together regarding a theoretical random assault in a sport's stadium. At some stage I understand I will need a professional report on this element of the brief, but first I would be very grateful for a ballpark assessment on whether this is indeed a relevant issue, and whether forces and hence injury are significantly greater as the slope comes into play. In other words, does pushing hooligans down the stands risk greater physical threat then pushing them up. Inituitively it does, but infact I'm less sure My schoolboy physics doesn't go beyond its ability to confuse me, so apologies if this seems a dumb question. Rather I hope it intrigues some of you. Thanks Brett

Physics news on Phys.org
brettsyoung said:
does pushing hooligans down the stands risk greater physical threat then pushing them up.
Ask yourself, "How far are they falling?"

brettsyoung said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to prove a human head hitting the ground after falling backwards down a hill suffers a significantly greater impact than one hitting the ground on a flat surface. The person is 95KG, 180cm tall, and the impact point of the head was 60cm below (in altitude) the point where the feet were placed at the time of falling.

Homework Equations

The kinetic energy of the head is given by KE = 1/2 mv2. Rather than the head traveling 180 cm on flat ground, it travels 180 cm + 60 cm on an incline. The kinetic energy is acquired by the loss of gravitational energy U = mgh. g is 10 m/sec2 and h is either 180 cm or 240 cm. The velocity of the head is

v = √(2⋅10 m/sec2⋅.24 m) on the incline, or
v = √(2⋅10 m/sec2⋅.18 m) on flat ground

Notice that the mass does not enter into the final result.

DrSteve said:
v = √(2⋅10 m/sec2⋅.24 m) on the incline, or
v = √(2⋅10 m/sec2⋅.18 m) on flat ground
I think you mean 2.4m and 1.8m.
But is the velocity (i.e. momentum) the key measure or is it v2 (energy)?

Thanks for your replies. Very useful! Velocity is a suitable measure as we have lots of data of the effect of impact at increasing rates of velocity on the human head, including key low velocity ranges where the relative effect increases at a greater rate than the velocity. Thanks again. I didn't expect to hear back so quickly! regards Brett

haruspex said:
I think you mean 2.4m and 1.8m.
But is the velocity (i.e. momentum) the key measure or is it v2 (energy)?
You're correct - I meant 1.8 m and 2.4 m

What is the force of impact for a human falling from different heights?

The force of impact for a human falling from different heights depends on several factors, including the height of the fall, the weight of the person, and the surface they are falling onto. Generally, the greater the height of the fall, the greater the force of impact will be.

How does the surface affect the force of impact?

The surface a person falls onto can greatly affect the force of impact. A softer surface, such as a mattress or a pile of leaves, will absorb more of the impact and decrease the force felt by the person. A harder surface, such as concrete or pavement, will not absorb much of the impact, resulting in a higher force felt by the person.

At what height is a fall considered dangerous for a human?

The height at which a fall is considered dangerous for a human varies based on many factors, including the person's age and overall health. However, falls from heights over 10 feet are generally considered dangerous and have a higher likelihood of causing serious injuries or death.

Can the force of impact from a fall be reduced?

Yes, the force of impact from a fall can be reduced by taking certain precautions. This can include wearing protective gear such as helmets or knee pads, landing on a softer surface, or using safety equipment such as harnesses or safety nets.

What are the potential injuries from a fall with a high force of impact?

The potential injuries from a fall with a high force of impact can vary but can include broken bones, head injuries, spinal injuries, and internal bleeding. These injuries can range from minor to severe and can be life-threatening, depending on the height of the fall and the surface landed on.