1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on a mass by two fixed masses

1. Oct 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two identical point masses, each of mass ##M##, always remain separated by a distance of ##2R##. A third mass ##m## is then placed a distance ##x## along the perpendicular bisector of the original two masses. Show that the gravitational force on the third mass is directed inward along the perpendicular bisector and has a magnitude of
    $$F = \frac {2GMmx}{(x^2+R^2)^\frac{3}{2}}$$
    2. Relevant equations
    $$F = G\frac {m_1m_2}{r^2}$$
    3. The attempt at a solution
    20161024_185403.jpg

Am I on the right track? If so, what do I do from here? If not, where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're on the right track. In your expression for the force, FM on m, you wrote the denominator as (R2 + x2)1/2. The power of 1/2 is not correct.

You can simplify cosθ. There is no need to write it as cos(tan-1(R/x)). You should be able to "read off" cosθ from one of your triangles in your picture.

4. Oct 24, 2016 #3
    Why is ##(R^2+x^2)^{1/2}## not correct? Isn't that the distance between ##M## and ##m##?

5. Oct 24, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it's the distance between M and m. But what is the denominator in Newton's law of gravity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted