Calculating Force on an Oscillating Mass: A Simple Harmonic Motion Problem

In summary, a 2.10 kg mass attached to a horizontal spring with a force constant of 6.00 N/m is displaced 3.09 m to the right and released, initiating simple harmonic motion. After 4.18 seconds, the force acting on the mass (with the right direction chosen as positive) is approximately 18.36 N. However, there may have been some calculation errors and the correct answer should be recalculated.
jumpingjack90
Force on an oscillating mass?

Homework Statement

A 2.10 kg mass on a frictionless horizontal track is attached to the end of a horizontal spring whose force constant is 6.00 N/m. The mass is displaced 3.09 m to the right from its equilibrium position and then released, which initiates simple harmonic motion. What is the force (including direction, choose the right to be positive) acting on the mass 4.18 s after it is released?

Homework Equations

F=kx
w=(sqrt)k/m
x(t)=xm*cos(w*t+phase costant)

The Attempt at a Solution

Find angular frequency
w=(sqrt)k/m=(sqrt)6.00/2.10=1.69rad/s
2-The displacement is given as a function of time:
x(t)=xm*cos(w*t+phase costant)
the function is:
x(t)=3.09*cos(1.69t)
the hooke law for spring is:
F=-kx
x(4.18)=3.09*cos(1.69*4.18)=3.06m
the force acting is:
F=-6.00*3.06=18.36N
Which is the incorrect answer. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Did you forget the negative sign in front of 18.36 N ?

Whoops, ignore whatever I wrote earlier, if you caught it, I misread your answer.
Everything looks peachy from here, negative sign aside.

For a simple harmonic oscillator:
[tex]x(t)=A\cos{(\omega t + \theta)}[/tex]
Your initial conditions dictate that this be a cosine function with a phase constant 0 (Since its at its max amplitude at [tex]t=0[/tex])
[tex]x(t)=3.09\cos{(1.69t)}[/tex]

Haha! I feel so dumb. I was operating under degrees instead of radians in my calculator. I suspect the thread-starter made the same mistake.

You're on the right track, but [tex]3.09\cos{(1.69*4.18)}[/tex] is approximately 2.195, and not 3.06.

Last edited:

An additional issue is that

3.09*cos(1.69*4.18) does not give 3.06. You need to redo the calculation.

solved it! thanks for the input everyone!

1. What is the definition of force on an oscillating mass?

The force on an oscillating mass is the external force acting on a mass that is undergoing a periodic back-and-forth motion.

2. How is the force on an oscillating mass calculated?

The force on an oscillating mass can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to the mass of an object multiplied by its acceleration.

3. What factors affect the force on an oscillating mass?

The force on an oscillating mass can be affected by factors such as the amplitude of the oscillation, the frequency of the oscillation, and the mass of the object.

4. How does the force on an oscillating mass change over time?

The force on an oscillating mass changes over time as the mass moves back and forth. The force will be at its maximum when the mass is at its maximum displacement, and it will be at its minimum when the mass is at its equilibrium position.

5. Can the force on an oscillating mass be negative?

Yes, the force on an oscillating mass can be negative if the external force acting on the mass is in the opposite direction of its displacement. This can result in the mass experiencing a net force in the opposite direction of its motion and altering its oscillation pattern.