Force on Dielectric Medium in the Presence of Point Charges

In summary: I am studying for jee advanced 2021... gonna be a tough one! :yuck:In summary, the force exerted by the larger charge 3q on the dielectric medium with dielectric constant k is given by ##\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o} \left(\frac{1}{k}-1\right)\frac{3q^2}{a^2}##. This is due to the presence of the smaller charge q and the dielectric medium itself. This force is directed towards the smaller charge q and is equal in magnitude to the force exerted by the medium on the larger charge 3q.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Two point charges of magnitude q and 3q are located at a distance of 'a' from each other within an infinite dielectric medium of dielectric constant k. The force by the larger charge 3q, on the dielectric equals
A)zero
B)##\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o} \left(1-\frac{1}{k}\right)\frac{3q^2}{a^2}##
C)##\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o}(k-1)\frac{3q^2}{a^2}##
D)None

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I don't quite understand the question. How someone finds force on the medium in which it is placed? :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure, but i think they are talking about the contact force between the dielectric and the point charge. Like in normal reactions in mechanics, which will be equal to the force acting between the two charges... I guess it must be this... But not sure...

One of my friends said that u can consider the dielectric medium to be made of many dipoles, find the force on the dipoles and hence on the medium. And i am not sue how to do that either. Vector integration is involved, which i have no idea how to apply! :-(

ShreyasR said:
One of my friends said that u can consider the dielectric medium to be made of many dipoles, find the force on the dipoles and hence on the medium. And i am not sue how to do that either. Vector integration is involved, which i have no idea how to apply! :-(

Well, that would be ugly. :yuck:

But I am sure that this doesn't involve those methods as this question is from my test paper (I don't know how to describe it) which doesn't include too much difficult questions.

Pranav-Arora said:
Well, that would be ugly. :yuck:

But I am sure that this doesn't involve those methods as this question is from my test paper (I don't know how to describe it) which doesn't include too much difficult questions.

Yes that's true. I felt that this would have been worked out already using vector integration, and a formula would have been derived. I tried searching "force on a dielectric medium" on google. But i did not find anything given in simple terms. Everywhere they have used vector integration!

And this was the only thing i actually understood. But seriously, applying vector integration for this would be such a drag!

Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

Two point charges of magnitude q and 3q are located at a distance of 'a' from each other within an infinite dielectric medium of dielectric constant k. The force by the larger charge 3q, on the dielectric equals
A)zero
D)None

Homework Equations

Honestly, I don't quite understand the question. How someone finds force on the medium in which it is placed? :confused:

What is the force between two point charges in a medium, different from vacuum?

ehild

Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

A)zero
D)None

Homework Equations

Cool question! Use the expression for total force on 3q-

##\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_ok} \frac{3q^2}{a^2}##

where k is the dielectric constant. Now the force on 3q due to charge q is-

##\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o} \frac{3q^2}{a^2}##

Now as k>1 the net force is less than the coulombic force. The "extra" force towards q is nothing but the force exerted by the medium ! With this information I believe you can find the answer.

Btw I think this kind of question can come in Jee Advanced. Oh while i typed echild already replied sorry!

Last edited:
Wow! That's nice. :smile: I understood something more than i used to know! Thank you consciousness and ehild! Pranav hope you get the answer! and all the best for your Jee advanced!

Last edited:
ehild said:
What is the force between two point charges in a medium, different from vacuum?

ehild

The force between the two charges in a different medium is ##\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_ok}\frac{3q^2}{a^2}##.

consciousness said:
Cool question! Use the expression for total force on 3q-

##\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_ok} \frac{3q^2}{a^2}##

where k is the dielectric constant. Now the force on 3q due to charge q is-

##\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o} \frac{3q^2}{a^2}##

Now as k>1 the net force is less than the coulombic force. The "extra" force towards q is nothing but the force exerted by the medium ! With this information I believe you can find the answer.

You mean that the net force on 3q is sum of force from dielectric and the charge q, i.e

[tex]F_{dielectric}+\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o} \frac{3q^2}{a^2}=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_ok} \frac{3q^2}{a^2}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow F_{dielectric}=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o} \left(\frac{1}{k}-1\right)\frac{3q^2}{a^2}[/tex]
This is the force exerted by dielectric on 3q, hence the force on the dielectric is the ##-F_{dielectric}##. Does this look good?

Pranav-Arora said:
The force between the two charges in a different medium is ##\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_ok}\frac{3q^2}{a^2}##.
You mean that the net force on 3q is sum of force from dielectric and the charge q, i.e

[tex]F_{dielectric}+\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o} \frac{3q^2}{a^2}=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_ok} \frac{3q^2}{a^2}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow F_{dielectric}=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o} \left(\frac{1}{k}-1\right)\frac{3q^2}{a^2}[/tex]
This is the force exerted by dielectric on 3q, hence the force on the dielectric is the ##-F_{dielectric}##. Does this look good?

Yeah It looks good. I am learning all this nowadays in electrostatics.

consciousness said:
Yeah It looks good. I am learning all this nowadays in electrostatics.

Thanks! :smile:

1. What is the definition of force on dielectric medium?

The force on a dielectric medium is the result of an electric field acting on the charged particles within the material. It is measured in newtons (N) and is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

2. What factors affect the force on a dielectric medium?

The force on a dielectric medium is affected by the strength of the electric field, the dielectric constant of the material, and the distance between the charged particles and the electric field. The force is also influenced by the amount and type of charge present in the material.

3. How is the force on a dielectric medium calculated?

The force on a dielectric medium can be calculated using the equation F = qE, where F is the force in newtons, q is the charge in coulombs, and E is the electric field strength in newtons per coulomb. This equation assumes a uniform electric field and a single point charge.

4. What is the relationship between the force on a dielectric medium and the dielectric constant?

The dielectric constant, represented by the symbol κ, is a measure of the ability of a material to store electrical energy. The force on a dielectric medium is directly proportional to the dielectric constant, meaning that an increase in κ leads to a corresponding increase in the force experienced by the material.

5. How does the force on a dielectric medium affect the behavior of the material?

The force on a dielectric medium can cause the material to deform or move, depending on its properties and the strength of the electric field. This effect, known as dielectric polarization, is responsible for the behavior of materials such as capacitors and insulators in electrical circuits.