Calculating Force on a Pin with Ropes and Tensions?

In summary, the precast concrete wall is held in its vertical position by ropes. The forces on the pin at A are the tensions in the cables AB and AC, which are 420 lbs and 650 lbs, respectively.
warfreak131

Homework Statement

A precast concrete wall is temporarily kept in its vertical position by ropes. Find the total force exerted on the pin at position A. The tensions in AB and AC are 420 lbs and 650 lbs.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to start, because I don't know whether or not the tension from DB to DC also counts towards the force on the pin at A. I am also not sure on what values to add. Like if I add vectors AB and AC, is the result at the same angle?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 663
Physics news on Phys.org
warfreak131 said:
… I don't know whether or not the tension from DB to DC also counts towards the force on the pin at A.

Hi warfreak131! :smile:

There's no force-at-a-distance … the only forces at A are the forces at A. :wink:
I am also not sure on what values to add. Like if I add vectors AB and AC, is the result at the same angle?

You add the force vectors, not the position vectors.

(All the angles are either equal or opposite, so yes you could take a short-cut for each component separately … but I wouldn't recommend it.)

tiny-tim said:
Hi warfreak131! :smile:

There's no force-at-a-distance … the only forces at A are the forces at A. :wink:

You add the force vectors, not the position vectors.

(All the angles are either equal or opposite, so yes you could take a short-cut for each component separately … but I wouldn't recommend it.)

ok, but DC, and DB are pulling on the wall too, so wouldn't that put extra tension in the cables AB and AC and cause the pin to experience a greater force?

warfreak131 said:
ok, but DC, and DB are pulling on the wall too, so wouldn't that put extra tension in the cables AB and AC and cause the pin to experience a greater force?

ah, but that's taken account of in the question
warfreak131 said:
The tensions in AB and AC are 420 lbs and 650 lbs.

… it may well put extra tension in AB and AC, but you've been given figures that include that! :wink:

tiny-tim said:
ah, but that's taken account of in the question

… it may well put extra tension in AB and AC, but you've been given figures that include that! :wink:

very true sir... very true,

so should i just find the angles that the cables make with the fore and background edges, and then add the force vectors?

Yes, except that you don't actually need to find the angles, you can get the cosines just by using the coordinates, and dividing by the hypotenuse. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Yes, except that you don't actually need to find the angles, you can get the cosines just by using the coordinates, and dividing by the hypotenuse. :wink:

ok, thanks a bunch

1. What is the force on pins holding cables?

The force on pins holding cables is the amount of pressure or weight exerted on the pins by the tension in the cables. This force is typically measured in newtons or pounds.

2. How do you calculate the force on pins holding cables?

The force on pins holding cables can be calculated using the equation F = T x sin(θ), where F is the force, T is the tension in the cable, and θ is the angle between the cable and the pin.

3. What factors can affect the force on pins holding cables?

The force on pins holding cables can be affected by several factors, including the tension in the cables, the angle of the cables, the weight of the object being supported by the cables, and the strength and stability of the pins.

4. How can the force on pins holding cables be reduced?

The force on pins holding cables can be reduced by decreasing the tension in the cables, changing the angle of the cables, or using stronger and more stable pins. It can also be reduced by distributing the weight of the object being supported more evenly across multiple cables and pins.

5. Why is it important to consider the force on pins holding cables?

It is important to consider the force on pins holding cables because if the force exceeds the capacity of the pins, they may bend or break, causing the cables to fail and potentially leading to accidents or damage. Properly calculating and managing the force on pins is crucial for ensuring the safety and stability of structures supported by cables.