Force, Torque and Angular Acceleration Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of sharpening a knife on a spinning grindstone. The friction force between the knife and the stone slows down the stone's rotation, not the force applied by the man. Calculations are provided to determine the friction force and normal force, resulting in an answer of 2.205 N. The book's answer of 9.9 N may be incorrect, and alternative methods using angular impulse and momentum are discussed. However, these methods also result in an answer of 2.2 N.
cdbowman42
1. A man sharpens a knife by pushing it against the rim of a grindstone. The 30-cm diameter stone is spinning at 200 rpm and has a mass of 28 kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the knife and the stone is 0.20. If the stone loses 10 % of its speed in 10s of grinding, what is the force with which the man presses the knife against the stone.

2. friction force=Normal Force(coefficient of static friction)
friction force=Torque/r
Torque=angular acceleration(a)*I
I=1/2Mr^2
angular acceleration(a)=(final angular velocity(w2)-initial angular velocity(w1))/t

3. The force he applies to the stone has no affect on slowing it down because it is directed toward the axis of rotation. It is the friction force that slows it down, because it is perpendicular to the moment arm.

w1=200rpm*2pi/60=20.9rad/s
w2=200rpm-.10(200rpm)=180rpm
180rpm*2pi/60=18.8rad/s

a=(18.8-20.9)/10= -.21rad/s^2

I=1/2(28)(.15)^2
I=.315kg*m^2

Torque= -.21(.315)=.06615 N*m
Friction force= -.06615/.15=-.441 N

Normal force of man=.441/.2= 2.205 N

Final answer: -2.205 N

The book says 9.9 N

Where am i messing up?

Physics news on Phys.org
All your calculations seem correct to me. Perhaps the book's answer is wrong?

AlexChandler said:
It may be better to do it using angular impulse and momentum. In this case we can assume the force is constant. We should have

[tex] \tau \Delta t = \Delta (I \omega) [/tex]

then

[tex] r F_f \Delta t = I (\omega_{initial} - \omega_{final}) [/tex]

This gives you the frictional force of the knife on the wheel. Then you can get the compression force [tex] C [/tex] by

[tex] F_f = \mu C [/tex]

Try doing it this way and see what you get.

That's exactly the way the OP used.

It may be better to do it using angular impulse and momentum. In this case we can assume the force is constant. We should have

[tex] \tau \Delta t = \Delta (I \omega) [/tex]

then

[tex] r F_f \Delta t = I (\omega_{final} - \omega_{initial}) [/tex]

This gives you the frictional force of the knife on the wheel. Then you can get the compression force [tex] C [/tex] by

[tex] F_f = \mu C [/tex]

Try doing it this way and see what you get.

ideasrule said:
That's exactly the way the OP used.

Yes I suppose it is really the same. But I prefer to use impulse in cases like this when you only need consider an initial and final state. And actually I get the same exact answer 2.2 N.
Sorry to delete and repost, I was having some trouble with editing the mistakes I made in LaTeX.

Impulse isn't even covered that far into the book, so I don't think that's the way to go. I think we may be missing something.

cdbowman42 said:
Impulse isn't even covered that far into the book, so I don't think that's the way to go. I think we may be missing something.

It may not be the intended solution, but it gives the same answer as both your solution and mine. Unless somebody else can spot an error, I think it's safe to assume that the textbook answer is incorrect.

Ok well thanks!

Unless there is a way to get 9.9 N somehow?

1. What is the difference between force and torque?

Force is a vector quantity that describes the push or pull on an object. It is measured in Newtons (N) and can cause an object to accelerate or decelerate. Torque, on the other hand, is a measure of the force that causes rotation. It is also a vector quantity, measured in Newton-meters (N·m), and depends on the force applied and the distance from the pivot point.

2. How do you calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. It is calculated using the formula α = (ω2 - ω1) / t, where α is the angular acceleration, ω2 is the final angular velocity, ω1 is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time taken.

3. What is the relationship between force, torque, and angular acceleration?

Force and torque are related to angular acceleration through the moment of inertia. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and is calculated using the object's mass and its distance from the axis of rotation. The greater the moment of inertia, the more torque is required to produce a given angular acceleration.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the resulting torque?

The direction of the force applied affects the resulting torque. If the force is perpendicular to the radius of rotation, it will produce the maximum torque. If the force is parallel to the radius, it will produce no torque. If the force is at an angle to the radius, it will produce a torque that is proportional to the sine of that angle.

5. Can you give an example of a real-world application of force, torque, and angular acceleration?

A common example of force, torque, and angular acceleration in action is seen in a car's steering system. When the driver turns the steering wheel, they apply a force that creates a torque on the steering column. This torque is then transmitted to the wheels, causing them to turn and the car to change direction. The amount of force, torque, and angular acceleration required will vary depending on the car's speed, weight, and the angle of the turn.