Vector Resolution and Force Balancing on a Force Table

• Thread starter avb203796
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving for resultant force, opposing force, and the angle and mass needed to create balance on a force table. The participants discuss breaking up the vectors into horizontal and vertical components and using a diagram to better understand the problem.
avb203796
I need some help with the following assignment!

For the following sets of angles and masses, you must solve for the resultant force, the opposing force, and the angle and mass needed to create a balance on a force table.

1. 50 g at 20 degrees, 100 g at 65 degrees
2. 50g at 90 degrees, 50g at 270 degrees

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure where to start with figureing these out because I have a lot of trouble with vectors and understanding them.

well, is there any other way you can think of these vectors that would make them simpler?

what if we broke them up into parts?

Well see that is where I have the problem. I do not understand how to break them up.

ok

we want to describe the vector with a horizontal and vertical component instead of one part with a direction

so what we basically have is the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle, and we want to find the other two sides

well draw yourself a diagram to help you understand it

we have all the angles and a side, so we can find the rest of the triangle

What is a force and how is it measured?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate. It is measured in Newtons (N) using a force meter or spring scale.

What is a vector and how is it different from a scalar?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. Force is an example of a vector. A scalar, on the other hand, only has magnitude, such as speed or temperature.

How do you calculate the net force on an object?

The net force on an object is the sum of all the forces acting on it. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you add them together. If they are acting in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger force.

What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

Balanced forces are equal in size and opposite in direction, resulting in no overall change in motion. Unbalanced forces are not equal and cause an object to accelerate in the direction of the larger force.

How does the angle of application affect the force on an object?

The angle of application refers to the direction in which the force is applied. The force on an object will be strongest when applied at a 90-degree angle and weakest when applied at a 0-degree angle (parallel).