Create a model for a collision

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of g-force and its role in a collision. It mentions formulas for horizontal and vertical g-forces and explains how to calculate the displacement and average speed of an object after a collision. The conversation also addresses human tolerance to g-forces and the importance of cushioning in reducing the impact of collisions. Finally, there is confusion about the signs of velocity and displacement in the calculations.
Aion96
Homework Statement
Suppose that a man runs into a wall and dies while experiencing 50 g for 0,002 seconds. How much force was exerted on him during impact, and how big was the impulse? How fast did he run, what was the stopping distance, contact time
Relevant Equations
Horizontal number of g¨'s = ##\frac{a_{x}}{g}## and the vertical number of g¨'s = ##\frac{F_{N}}{Fg}=\frac{F_{N}}{mg}##
My homework consists of trying to create a simple model for a collision. But I have trouble understanding a specific part of the assignment, namely what g-force is. I'm guessing that I'm allowed to make assumptions. But without understanding adequately the definition for g-force, I don't think I'll make any headway.

I've read that g-force is an object's apparent weight. I've found some formulas online that states that the experienced g-force can be separated into the horizontal and the vertical direction. That the horizontal number of g¨'s = ##\frac{a_{x}}{g}## and the vertical number of g¨'s = ##\frac{F_{N}}{Fg}=\frac{F_{N}}{mg}##. I'm guessing ##50 g## means the experienced apparent weight in the horizontal direction. And we have to assume a reasonable mass for the person. So I'll suppose the person has a mass of ##80 kg##. In either case, I'll proceed with the following reasoning
$$50=\frac{a_{x}}{g} \Rightarrow a_{x}=50g$$
By Newtons second law $$\Sigma F_{x}=ma_{x}=50mg$$
Since we are given ##\Delta t##, by the impulse law, it follows that
$$I=\Sigma F_{x}\Delta t =m\Delta v=\Delta p=ma_{x}\Delta t=50mg\Delta t$$
I'll assume that the person after the collision has zero momentum since the final velocity is zero. This simplifies ##\Delta p## into

$$\Delta p=p_{f}-p{i}=-p_{i}=-mv_{i}=50mg\Delta t \iff v_{i}=-50g\Delta t$$

Since we've already assumed that the final velocity is zero, this implies that the final kinetic energy is also zero. By the work-energy theorem we can calculate the displacement, ##d##, the person traveled before the collision. Hence

$$\Sigma F_{x} \cdot d=\Delta W_{k}=W_{k_{f}}-W_{k_{i}}=-W_{k_{i}}=-\frac{1}{2}mv_{i}^2\iff d=\frac{-m_{v_{i}}^2}{2\Sigma F_{x}}=-25g\Delta t^2$$
And the average speed is given by

$$v_{avg}=\frac{d}{\Delta t}=\frac{-25g\Delta t^2}{\Delta t}=-25g\Delta t$$

I'm moderately sure I'm wrong, but this was my attempt anyway. Any help would be appreciated!
P.S. Apologies for my grammar.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks correct.
As you got numbers you should plug them into the answers to get numerical answers, too.

Likes Aion96
You may find some information on human tolerance to g-forces here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force#Human_tolerance

The body experiments a negative acceleration that is 50 times greater than the natural acceleration of gravity.
There is a peak force that is used to damage hard and soft tissue.

The solidness of the wall helps decrease the time of the collision, which is not good.
Trying to extend that time is the purpose of the pliable front sections of cars and the cushion material inside motorcycle helmets, which can deform and absorb a good portion of the kinetic energy.

Last edited:
mfb said:
Looks correct.
As you got numbers you should plug them into the answers to get numerical answers, too.
Yes. But isn't g positive? Then the initial velocity is negative. And I don't understand why the displacement has a negative value as well. Should I interpret this to mean that his body has deformed during the collision while the wall stayed intact?

The signs of the velocity and displacement depend on the arbitrary convention which direction is positive. The question doesn't ask for the velocity, the question asks how fast he was running - his speed. The speed is always positive. Similarly, it asks for the unsigned braking distance, not the displacement.

1. How do you create a model for a collision?

To create a model for a collision, you first need to gather information about the objects involved, such as their masses, velocities, and initial positions. Then, you can use mathematical equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion, to simulate the collision and predict the resulting motion of the objects.

2. What factors should be considered when creating a collision model?

When creating a collision model, it is important to consider factors such as the masses and velocities of the objects, the type of collision (elastic or inelastic), and any external forces acting on the objects. Additionally, the shape and composition of the objects may also affect the outcome of the collision.

3. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

An elastic collision is one in which the total kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision remains the same. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

4. Can a collision model accurately predict the outcome of a real-life collision?

While a collision model can provide a good approximation of the outcome of a real-life collision, it is not always 100% accurate. Factors such as friction and air resistance may affect the actual outcome of a collision in real life.

5. How can a collision model be useful in real-world applications?

A collision model can be useful in various real-world applications, such as predicting the outcome of car crashes, designing safety features for sports equipment, and understanding the behavior of particles in physics experiments. It can also help engineers and scientists to optimize designs and improve safety measures.