Force when 2 blocks pushing against each other

In summary, the car exerts a force of 1500 N on the truck and the truck exerts an equal and opposite force of 1500 N on the car. This is in accordance with Newton's 3rd law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The confusion in the conversation was caused by not considering both objects and their respective masses when applying the equation F=ma.
adrian783
A 1000 kg car pushes a 2000 kg truck that has a dead battery. When the driver steps on the accelerator, the drive wheels of the car push against the ground with a force of 4500 N.
What is the magnitude of the force of the car on the truck?
What is the magnitude of the force of the truck on the car?

for the first one
i did 4500/1000 = car's acc = 4.5
4.5 *2000 (trucks mass) = 9000 = wrong

can some1 tell me what i did wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the same problem - I'm confused, too!

k ktd
here's how you do it lol
see 2 blocks as one 4500 / 3000 = 1.5 (both's acc)
f = ma, so force of car on truck = 1.5 * 1000 (car's mass) = 1500
now, the car's wheel produces 4500 force, we said 1500's car pushing truck, so where did the other 3000 go??
its truck pushing back
<----- 3000 (truck on car) CAR ---(car on truck)1500---->

Ok, are you using mastering physics? when I put in those answers (which now make sense), I'm still being told they're wrong!

adrian783 said:
see 2 blocks as one 4500 / 3000 = 1.5 (both's acc)
Right.
f = ma, so force of car on truck = 1.5 * 1000 (car's mass) = 1500
That's the total force acting on the car (you applied F = ma to the car). To find the force on the truck, apply F = ma to the truck.
now, the car's wheel produces 4500 force, we said 1500's car pushing truck, so where did the other 3000 go??
its truck pushing back
<----- 3000 (truck on car) CAR ---(car on truck)1500---->
I hope you realize that this answer contradicts Newton's 3rd law! The force that the car exerts on the truck must be equal (and opposite) to the force that the truck exerts on the car.

Find the force acting on the truck. (Assume that the only force acting on the truck is what the car exerts.)

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects or systems. It is measured in units of newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

2. What causes force when two blocks are pushing against each other?

Force is caused by the interaction between two objects, such as the contact between two blocks. When two blocks are pushing against each other, the force is the result of the blocks exerting equal and opposite forces on each other.

3. How is force calculated when two blocks are pushing against each other?

Force is calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force (F) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by acceleration (a). In the case of two blocks pushing against each other, the force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of one block by its acceleration, as well as the mass of the other block by its acceleration, and then adding the two forces together.

4. How does the force between two blocks change if their mass or acceleration changes?

The force between two blocks will change if either the mass or acceleration of either block changes. According to Newton's second law, force is directly proportional to mass and acceleration. This means that if the mass or acceleration of one or both blocks changes, the force between them will also change.

5. What is the direction of the force when two blocks are pushing against each other?

The direction of the force when two blocks are pushing against each other is equal and opposite. This means that one block will exert a force on the other block in one direction, while the other block will exert an equal force on the first block in the opposite direction.